Friday, November 03, 2006

NaNo Day two: Rebel Yell (squared)

I wrote about a thousand more words last night. And, while I'm still a little under where I need to be, I am cautiously optimistic that this weekend will get me ahead.

Anyway, the short timetable for this project (and the fact that I started on it two days before it kicked off) means I have little time for research.

However, it occurred to me last night that since I seem to be drinking a lot of whiskey while writing, I should make it the drink of choice for my main characters. Of course, I only recently started drinking whiskey so I don’t know that much about it. My favorite kind is Rebel Yell because of its mellow taste and reasonable price (get a handle for only $21.00).

So I did a little research on this delicious drink and thought I’d pass along some of the highlights for those of you interested in whiskey.

Whiskey came natural for families that moved west of the Appalachian Mountains. There were fresh streams and surplus crops of corn, rye, barley, and wheat. The mashing was soon to follow and by the mid 1800s whiskey distilleries were popping up all over Tennessee and Kentucky. Whiskey was sold up east and in Ohio and other regions, it was also used as tender to barter with the Native Americans (see, I just can't help it).

Also per Rebel Yell’s Web site: “In addition to selecting the choicest ingredients, using pure limestone-filtered water and patiently aging our whiskey in new charred white oak barrels, Rebel Yell is one of only a few wheated bourbons on the market today. Being a wheated bourbon means that Rebel Yell uses wheat, rather than rye in the mashbill. Wheat makes for a much softer, smoother spirit than rye, and when you work it into the mashbill of a bourbon, it produces a notably softer, smoother whiskey. In fact, Rebel Yell has been made according to the same time-honored recipe since 1849.” But there is even more to learn.

The site has a section that goes into the history of the “rebel yell” in the south as well as a another page that walks users through how Rebell Yell is made and various whiskey terms.

You can even order a personalized bottle for that special someone this holiday season.

See, writing a novel can also mean learning about new things! Of course, it also means you'll need another handle to get Billy Idol out of your head. The lyrics are below in case you need to sing it through one time. Don't even try to tell me you aren't wishing you could fist pump and sneer in your cubicle.

Last night a little dancer came dancin' to my door
Last night a little angel Came pumpin cross my floor
She said "Come on baby I got a licence for love
And if it expires pray help from above"

In the midnight hour she cried- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell she cried- "more, more, more"
In the midniight hour babe- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell- "more, more, more"
More, more, more.

She don't like slavery, she won't sit and beg
But when I'm tired and lonely she sees me to bed
What set you free and brought you to be me babe
What set you free I need you hear by me
Because

In the midnight hour she cried- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell she cried- "more, more, more"
In the midniight hour babe- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell- "more, more, more"

He lives in his own heaven
Collects it to go from the seven eleven
Well he's out all night to collect a fare
Just so long, just so long it don't mess up his hair.

I walked the ward with you, babe
A thousand miles with you
I dried your tears of pain, babe
A million times for you

I'd sell my soul for you babe
For money to burn with you
I'd give you all, and have none, babe
Just, just, justa, justa to have you here by me
Because

In the midnight hour she cried- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell she cried- "more, more, more"
In the midniight hour babe- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell she cried "more, more, more"
More, more, more.

Oh yeah little baby
she want more
More, more, more, more, more.

Oh yeah little baby
she want more
More, more, more, more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Nice.

BP is a big Knob Creek fan; maybe give that one a shot (har har) next?

2:04 PM  
Blogger V said...

I've had Knob Creek and it is quality. Def would kick my ass if I shot it though--sipping only :)

3:16 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

HAHHA...are we bringing out laptops to meet on Sunday? I have a feeling togetherness, booze & plotline discussion will breed INTERESTING convo.

4:59 PM  
Blogger V said...

That could be fun, we'd be the dorkiest crew ever at some brunch spot and with our laptops :)

5:03 PM  
Anonymous rcr said...

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. Super good bourbon at a reasonable price. Still more the beam or RY though.

5:31 PM  
Blogger dn said...

Knob Creek = death wish. You have been warned.

And might I recommend "Rebel Yell" as a karaoke song? It's always a crowd-pleaser.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com