Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I’m writing a novel (this month)

I stumbled onto a novel writing contest through a series of clicks that started with this site and led to this site and concluded with a national novel writing "contest' that takes place November 1-30. In order to “win” you have to write a 50,000 word novel in that one month period.

This contest has been held since 1999, and last year there were 59,000 participants and 9769 winners (or people who were verified as finishing their novel). Here is an article from the Washington Post did about the contest in 2004.

Sure, I have a lot going on, but this contest came at a time when I was just itching to do something like this. And, when internet fate intervened, I had to jump at this opportunity and challenge. Not sure if I will make it (must average 7 pages a day), but I’ve got an idea and know it’s worth a shot.

The next month will probably be a lot of update posts, so if that bores you then I’m sorry. However, if you’re interested in the aches and pains of a very novice novel writer, then tune in. Or, join in. I know one friend and blogger has agreed to take the plunge and happened to noticed another Dupont blogger on the Nano Web site's DC forum.

Anyone else with me? You can still sign-up

16 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I could write a pamphlet.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

I could write a bookmark.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I would read that bookmark.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

I should make it really interesting then.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Anyone else want to see a Phil/Sean novela?

Good luck, V and Kassy!

1:34 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

WOO HOO--I can finally put my writing skills to the test...I may have terrible grammar and time frame skills but I tell a damn good story. Thanks for the heads-up V...can't wait for our first sit-in and discussion. You are going to do great!! :-)

1:42 PM  
Blogger V said...

Phil + Sean = hilarious

Kathryn: Totally--I'd def buy :) and thanks--

Kassy: Word up, yo. We're going to have a blast. Can't wait to act like a temperamental authoress.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

V - i'm a non-fiction type of girl :)

1:56 PM  
Blogger V said...

Irish: You should give it a try...

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Sweet said...

I'll think about it!

4:32 PM  
Blogger V said...

Sweet: Please do! Kassy and a friend of mine are getting together this Sunday afternoon to chat about how it's going...you are more than invited if you'd like to join in our noveling adventure :)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I did it one year in college. My novel was horrible. But I did it. The most fun part is going to the dare page on the NaNoWriMo site and trying to work some of them in to your story. I, for example, had a squirrel squished by a bowling ball for no good reason. Also, one of my characters was a bunny named Anya who jumped out a plothole once. I even bought myself a shirt. It's actually not as hard to write that much every day as you'd think. But good luck anyways!

4:55 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

omg, this is right up my alley! i haven't written fiction in ages though...good luck to V and KassyK!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I will make a two page pamphlet, which will include your bookmark. The pamphlet will only be two pages so that people will be inclined to read your bookmark in their spare time.

9:11 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

I would never finish and probably wouldn't start. Best of luck to YOU, though.

9:12 PM  
Blogger The View From Dupont said...

Ah! LOVE to see the DC Bloggers getting involved! This is my fourth year (hopefully my second win!) and if you all want to come to write ins I would be a big fan of the idea :) I go to most of the write ins, and am responsible for the Dupont and Friendship Heights ones.

Good luck with it!

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com