Wednesday, November 29, 2006

How do you say "Hooker" in Japanese?

I got an email from an English language editor who is working on a book to be published in Japan for students of contemporary English and American culture. He asked if I would agree to have two of my posts included, it's called Journals of Thirty Americans Volume 2 (Two pages from volume 1 are pictured).

At first I thought this was a scam, but then I sent him an email asking for more info (including which posts) and did some research to see if anyone else posted about this and I found blogs from a bunch of angsty teens and this guy Jake in Illinois had also been asked.

He wants to use my recent adventure in Las Vegas and who am I deny the young minds of Japan tales of woe and caution from the City of Sin? So I said sure and what the hell, I'm one of your 30.

I figure even though I won't make a cent on this, I can tell people that CircleV is really big in Japan, especially with the kids (even though Volume 1 only sold 5,000 copies). And, more importantly, I can finally confirm the Japanese character for “hooker” and be sure my tat is legit.

If you'd like to check out Volume 1, it's available on Japanese E-Bay.

So there you have it, now let's try to keep the cultural stereotypes to minimum.

5 Comments:

Blogger KassyK said...

You need to talk to Velvet...this is fantastic. :)

3:52 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Oh, it's legitimate? I got an e-mail this week about the same thing, but figured it was just a scam. Interesting! Thanks for researching. :)

6:42 PM  
Blogger V said...

Just did, funny :)

Mysterygirl: I think it is, you should totally participate--I think there may be a couple other "local" bloggers joining in the super fantastic bubble sparkle blog fun.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Needtsza said...

wow Congrats (said in Japanese of course;)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Alejandra said...

LOL That's fantastic! Now I'm kind of jealous. I want to be in a Japanese textbook about contemporary American culture... Now that's how you know you've made it... ;)

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com