Friday, October 06, 2006

Weekend Round-Up: But I Wanted To Be Tawdry Edition

So despite a few queenie naysayers, it seemed like most of you enjoyed our “tawdry” times
at the Yeas & Neas party.

However, the fun will continue as I plan to celebrate my Native America ancestry on Columbus Day by drinking a lot and gambling. No, seriously, I’m going to New York City today and not sobering up until Tuesday. Yeah, and I’m hoping to play some poker in a couple NYC Card Rooms. What, I'm on the rolls, I can say it.

So I’m off to NYC to see some friends and party for ol’ Jake Barnes’ birthday over the holiday weekend. I should have lots of stories and photos (including one with me on Katie Couric’s lap) so you’ve got that going for you.

However, this also means that I will not be celebrating another friend’s birthday and all the VIP-licious fun that I know goes with rollin with the Holla Crew. VK: I will be there in drunken, drunken Indian sprirt…

Final thoughts stolen from Wikipedia: Ward Churchill (an associate professor of Native American Studies at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and a leader of the American Indian Movement), has argued that:

Very high on the list of those expressions of non-indigenous sensibility which contribute to the perpetuation of genocidal policies against Indians are the annual Columbus Day celebration, events in which it is baldly asserted that the process, events, and circumstances described above are, at best, either acceptable or unimportant. More often, the sentiments expressed by the participants are, quite frankly, that the fate of Native America embodied in Columbus and the Columbian legacy is a matter to be openly and enthusiastically applauded as an unrivaled "boon to all mankind." Undeniably, the situation of American Indians will not -- in fact cannot -- change for the better so long as such attitudes are deemed socially acceptable by the mainstream populace. Hence, such celebrations as Columbus Day must be stopped. (In "Bringing the Law Back Home.")

Have and great weekend and enjoy the weather tomorrow, suckers, I know I will!!

12 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

But you're both loved, of course, so it's all okay right?

10:11 AM  
Blogger Irish Red said...

Have fun and have a safe trip!

12:56 PM  
Blogger V said...

i-66: All good indeed--

Thanks, Irish, have a great weekend yourself ;)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

You're missing my birthday too daayyum!!!

3:22 PM  
Blogger V said...

That's right you've got b-day fun as well--have a great one!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Needtsza said...

son of a bitch. I was in NY this weekend. I don't know of any of these card rooms.

Gotta email those as I'm in NY like all the time!!

How'd you do?

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't belive you quoted Ward Churchill -- he's not even considered Indian by many American Indians, While I agree with your thoughts on Columbus Day, it's a foolish mistake.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Oface said...

I can't belive you quoted Ward Churchill -- he's not even considered Indian by many American Indians, While I agree with your thoughts on Columbus Day, it's a foolish mistake.
*****************************************************************************
Lmao...So true...So What?????? Who are you??? Bill O'reilly???????

I know this a dumb question, but have you had a chance to hit the Native American Museum?????? Off the chain.........

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Rudy and Blitz said...

Ward Churchill is no longer a professor at U Colo - Boulder. He was let go for plagarism. Unfortunately there is an O'Reilly connection here - Bill got all uppity about an article Churchill wrote about 9/11 and made it an issue.

Opinions about either O'Reilly or Churchill's stance on 9/11 aside, Ward Churchill is a huckster with no academic credibility, who, as correctly stated earlier in this thread, has been unable to prove an Native American Ancestry.

10:35 AM  
Blogger V said...

Anon and rudy and blitz: As stated, I stole the info from Wiki, I thought it was an interesting idea and if you have problems with it, I'd think taking it up with them makes more sense.

Also, what a weird thing to be critical about--are you saying that he can't "defend" Native American positions unless he is Indian? Also, many, many Indians cannot prove their heritage because they were so afraid of the government taking away their land again so they didn't registar on the rolls (as is the case on my dad's side).

I'm not defending Churchill as I know NOTHING about him, just thought he had a good quote, but I will say that I feel a wee bit uncomfortable with "not enough" Indian arguments against a person...

9:01 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

The problem with WC isn't how Indian he is or isn't. The problem is he's a giant piece of crap, and that's putting it nicely. Now you know something about him :-)

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Rudy and Blitz said...

My comment on Churchill's ancestry was not to say that his argument was any less valid; but to reinforce the point that he is basically a total fraud, from his academic record, extending all the way to his ancestry claims (potentially).

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com