Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Wedding Announcement

So I had a great time in Yukon seeing friends and eating at sweet, sweet Waffle House (chilli, cheese and mushroom hashbrowns in the wee hours of the morning, nothing finer).

Dan has a good post about the adventures as well as links to other photos if you are so inclined (and no, I did not wear my brown dress--shocking, I know).

I was estimating that aside from being in six weddings, I've probably just attended about 15. I've been to some amazing ones and some real stinkers, and while the one this past weekend was lovely, I still cannot get my mind around having one.

I can totally get the ring (bling, bling) reception (booze, best friends, family and dancing all night) and I get the honeymoon (bumping uglies, beach, etc), but the actual ceremony really seems weird to me.

I can't imagine standing in front of all my friends and family and listening to some preacher or priest give me his take on our soul mate, soul's other half, true love, god's love, god's plan, plan together, christian faith, woman serve man, man be nice to woman, all eternity, etc. as I stare into that person's eyes and say vows. Then, listening to someone sing about how love lifts us up or whatever puppies, kitties and he completes me. Oh, and the unity candle, seriously? Me and this guy are going to light a candle together because it's a symbol of our love and life? A $20 candle just stitting on the alter or whatever?!!

The whole thing still just creeps me out. The entire time I'd just want to turn to my friends and make a joke or start laughing at seeing my future husband listen to some crap song he probably would make fun of otherwise as we get through a really awkward 3 minutes with everyone thinking about how white is not my color or fat my arms have gotten since high school. Gross out.

Maybe I'm immature, I don't know, but this weekend really confirmed it, I'm just not sure I'll ever be ready for a wedding.

15 Comments:

Anonymous etcetera said...

agreed. the ceremony is just the weirdest part. my bro had a soloist sing some uber cheesy song at his wedding and i was shocked that his buddies didn't flog him on his way out down the aisle. SOO not him.

i'm surprised Poverty Barn doesn't have a special line of Unity Candles for $49.99. actually... maybe they do. gag.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

AMEN, SISTAH!

I always fight the urge to giggle during the sappy parts.

Vegas all the way, baby!

2:35 PM  
Blogger V said...

etc: I know, it's weird because the songs are usually so absurd, but for some reason people use them anyway. And, good idea on the unity candle :)

Irish: Either Vegas or just a reception after it's all done...less fuss more party.

3:14 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

I have to agree...you know how I feel on this one--having come from about 4 billion weddings in the past few years (not even counting most of the best friends)I cannot even remotely imagine HAVING one.

For me its going to be on a beach somewhere with no one else there and then a big party back home.
I'll send you all the CD of the ceremony.

Granted I'll be 62...but still.
:-)

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Sex & Moxie said...

I was JUST talking about the same thing on my blog. I don't understand the need for th ebig wedding and all the money being spent. It's a complete mystery to me. I'm clearly missing the bride gene.

Sex & Moxie
http://www.MoxieintheCity.net
www.Moxieblog.typepad.com

4:22 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Hear hear! It's going to be the "drive thru" for this guy. If anyone ever suckers me into it that is.

4:26 PM  
Blogger V said...

Kassy: He he, I def want a copy of that DVD :)

Moxie: Sup girl, must be that time of year and I am def feeling you on that. And, thanks for stopping by--just checked out your site and there is all sorts of fun shit going on there.

Sean: Think they can combine fast food with marriage...just asking?

4:41 PM  
Blogger WiB said...

For a limited time, at Elvis' Drive-Thru,

The Happy-Ever-After Meal:

Pre-nup
Marriage License
2 cheeseburgers
2 orders of onion rings (think about it)
2 soft drinks
Wedding Cake on a Stick

If we can't get you married before your order is ready, the whole meal is free!!


Two words: Gold Mine.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

"Think they can combine fast food with marriage...just asking?"

Hmmmmmmmmmm
Let's see.....

Man: "Baby, let's get married. I don't care if your baby's daddy just got out of the joint and your father is a high-ranking member of the KKK. I love you."

Woman: "No dear, I don't think that would be a good idea at this very moment. Besides, you're broke, have no job, no prospects, and have a drinking problem."

Man: "But they have McNuggets."

Woman: "Ok, get me the honey mustard!"



You just can't buy this kind of market research. It's pure gold baby!

5:21 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

The ceremony part is weird. Definitely. Unless it's Catholic bc then it's long enough to warrant dragging everyone there. but usually, the ceremony is wicked short and then everyone has to get to the reception. I'm going to make my ceremony optional, aha.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

whoa, I thought I was the only one. No one wants to endure hours of a wedding and ass numbness. And I don't want to endure hours of my own ceremony and all that 'To have and to hold' in front of an audience.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Ashburnite said...

I'm with you....I just can't see blowing all that money on one day. I just want a small ceremony on the beach of some tropical island with just our parents...barefoot in the sand. The reception is what really kills me- a good majority of the people really only go for the free food and drinks, so why would I want to go through all of that hassle for a few cheap blenders and some Pier 1 candles?
And you're right- the thought of a ceremony always seems cheesy, especially given my views of churches and religion.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

V - a wedding is whatever you make it. As is marriage. Some people thing that everything changes after marriage and the wedding is some life changing event, blah blah blah. I can't tell a difference between living together and marriage. It's just now we share benefits and everything. OH and I have a big diamond ring. But in all honestly there really isn't a difference. I am just as committed as before. But at least I got my big southern dress and some booze for my friends.

V - it's me. Scarlett. I can't seen to remember my blogger ID and I just can't help myself from posting. HOpe the OK STATE WAS GREAT! And I for one HATE UNITY CANDLES. And I have had a few too many glasses of wine. DAMNIT.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous SP said...

I have only been to one so far and I have a video documentary of it to review for the rest of my life.
I think that will do!

3:08 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

I can totally see you doing the running man down the aisle...

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com