Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I could live in New York

Over the weekend I was in the City, and I did several seemingly “New Yorker” things.

I bitched about a movie being filmed in SoHo (where we stayed) and taking up all the parking.

I was made Brooklyn jokes.

I acted only moderately interested when Jack Black walked up next to me.

I successfully used the Subway all by myself.

I got annoyed at tourists gawking.

I shopped at Clarie Danes’ favorite store.

I discussed the Yankees and the future of Joe.

I got my hair cut and “blown out.”

I had two pitchers of Bellinis at a great the Lower East Side brunch spot with a very hip and hilarious girl.

I celebrated a dear friend’s birthday at Pravda, an underground Caviar Bar, followed up with drinks and cigarettes and a private karaoke party until 4:00 in the morning.

Sure, there are many other stories (and photos) to come, but the long and short of it is that being in New York City was just fantastic.


"The present in New York is so powerful that the past is lost.”
-John Jay Chapman

13 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

It is fantastic. I've thought that many times myself.

Then I come home hungover with no money in my wallet and appreciate my big, relatively inexpensive apartment and it goes away. :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger V said...

K: Totally agree. I am basically sick with a cold and broke so it's nice to be back in ol' DC for a little R&R :)

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DC just doesn't compare - Company town. New York = REAL CITY!

12:39 PM  
Blogger J. Serpentine said...

If V will have it, I would like to promise a piece either tomorrow or the next day entitled: "The Most Tiresome Topic of Conversation: The Massive Washington, DC Inferiority Complex with New York." I have spent ample time in both cities, they're both great in their own ways. Both are interesting in their own ways. Or, you know what? It's so tiresome, maybe it's just not worth discussing anymore.

1:01 PM  
Blogger V said...

Jack: Feel free, I think the "debate" needs to be settled once and for all.

1:18 PM  
Blogger The View From Dupont said...

See, I ended up choosing DC. Maybe I'm nuts, as I'm not even in politics, but I like it here.

(Though NY is fantastic to visit, and I'm slightly jealous as my weekend away was spent in Richmond.)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Irish Red said...

I'm sooooo jealous!

And congrats for navigating the subway! When I mastered it I felt like the coolest chick ever!

2:55 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

There's just something about New York. Even walking 26 miles around the island of Manhattan this weekend, I felt like I barely touched the highlights...

Maybe we should move there?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

You ran into JB and didn't even give him the secret Tenacious D handshake?


Check out tenaciousdmovie.com Satan's VCR is worth a look (of course).

Gonna' rock your socks off!

3:51 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

So glad you had fun. Having grown up right outside NYC I can tell you it is one of the best cities in the world and also somewhere I would never live unless I was loaded. Too exhausting but incredible for a visit. I'll be there about 5 times in the next 2 months for events and visting family...Yay. :-)
PS-No making fun of Brooklyn!!

4:11 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Sounds like an awesome time. I need to get back there ASAP, though.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Needtsza said...

Make it to any card rooms?

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Jake. Good point about NYC being impractical. When you are young and responsible-ness what you really need is a large place to live in at a reasonable price. A quiet neighborhood is also important. After you have a few kids is when you should really live it up in NY and forget all about the "practial" needs of singledom.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com