Monday, September 11, 2006

Emo McHipster

I stole that phrase. But, it’s appropriate when thinking of my wonderful weekend in North Carolina.

We learned many things on this road trip. And, aside from the fact that Bojangles famous chicken and biscuits are worth punching your baby sister over, I also saw many, many hipsters in Chapel Hill. It is like most “progressive” college towns and just crawling with them.

While DC hipsters are cute and entertaining to see (like those idiots in seersucker suits or some dude with a gay-hawk), I don’t think it really compares to places where you look like a freak without chunky bangs and plastic pearls.

For example, I was at this nice little bar called Fuse, and I think I was discriminated against because I wasn’t a hipster. I stood there wating for a drink in my oh so pedestrian nondescript shirt and non-pouty features to be passed over for every girl in wig or guy in a vintage tee. I wanted to explain to the bartender that it’s actually better to wait on me as I won’t just order PBR, but actually good booze with a good tip. But, the emo music was screeching so I just waited and waited and hoped not to get lice.

Okay, that was mean. The fact is that most of Emo McHipsters I saw were really waify and cute. Not too many seemed THAT unwashed so I could deal.

The rest of my time away was spent hanging out with Jane and friends, seeing the campuses of UNC and Duke as well as enjoying some great NC BBQ.

P.S. Speaking of Emo McHipsters, has anyone seen the preview for Marie Antoinette set to that Gang of Four song?

I mean I LOVE Jason Schwartzman and Sofia Coppola, but modern "trappings" and music?

8 Comments:

Anonymous bill said...

Yeah, saw that trailer a couple of weeks ago before Talladega Nights. Weird. Not clear who they are trying to reach with that.

4:23 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

While "gay-hawk" is quite an obvious and very descriptive term for that particular style of hair, I prefer the "homohawk". ;)

4:34 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

Agreed about the trailer--And in the midst of all this having some incredible looking drama and sci/fi movies coming out:

"The Fountain", "Babel", "The Prestige" and "Science of Sleep" to name a few coming out...you would think they would go all out with the trailer for Marie--hyping it for what it is (a funky period piece)and not trying to "hip" it up...although I adore Jason Schwartzman.

7:49 PM  
Blogger dn said...

"Science of Sleep" does look good.

I prefer the trailer set to New Order. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422720/trailers click on "Trailer #2") Now that's European!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Pwease, pwease tell me you brought some BBQ back and will have it at the next happy hour.

I guess that would be gross.

11:05 AM  
Blogger V said...

Actually, Kris, I do have some BBQ in my fridge...with slaw, too...so good...

11:59 AM  
Blogger nick d said...

Well I'm sorry to say, how the hell did we miss each other V?! In the randomness of blogs and all, I actually went up to DC this weekend with my super awesome girlfriend (why is she super awesome? she let us go to a O's Yankees game..in which we, ie the Yanks, won!)...and here you guys came down to our neck of the woods!

She went to UNC and I to the Red & White of NC State. We hang out at Woody's and He's Not Here whenever we're in Chapel Thrill.

If it werent for our IKEA baseball game trip...which might I say we hate all of you with 24.7 access to it...we could have shown you how we really rep in the Triangle.

Ok, now there's a joke! Glad to see your hosts made your trip a blast!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

After the subtle genius of Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation, I'm not asking questions, I'm just going with it.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com