Monday, August 14, 2006

Today's Dream Job

In my apartment building, we have this nice system where if you have a good magazine that you are finished with, you leave it on a bench in the main lobby. Some darling has been leaving copies of Interview magazine lately, and I just love it. If you haven’t read it, it a lovely magazine filled with great interviews and photos of famous artists (actors, musicians, artists, etc).

After reading several issues on Sunday, I was thinking maybe I should drop everything and move to New York and start working for Interview. Just imagine me interviewing Johnny Depp poolside as we discuss his life, his dream, his failures, the statistical likelihood that he’d hook up with someone who works at Interview magazine, etc. Of course, most of the “interviewers” are famous people so it probably wouldn’t be the dream job I imagine.

However, this leads me to my point: I have this pretty annoying habit of always thinking that some job I read about or maybe see in a movie is something I’d like to do. For example, I don’t let my self watch Dangerous Minds anymore because it’s all I can do to not book it over to an inner city high school to teach English. I also started painting after I saw Pollock, took up Chess after Searching for Bobby Fischer, poker after watching Rounders and extensively researched “spy jobs” after watching the Bourne Supremacy for the 100th time. And, those are some of the more normal examples, I won’t start on any of the weird ones.

While I think this may be a little more serious than your typical “grass is always greener” problem, my penchant for the dream job also speaks to this point in my life (and most early-career types) when I am making the BIG choices and commitments in my career and where I am going.

The fact is that internships going nowhere or jobs we don’t care about can't cut it anymore because with each day that passes, we are getting more entangled in our choices. So here's to hoping today's dream job won't be tomorrow's mistake.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Sweet said...

As someone who has done the NY magazine thing, let me be the first to tell you that it isn't all that it's cracked up to be. The pay is shiite, most of the celebs you interview are jaded and are only trying to plug a movie/project and the egos you have to work with are insane!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous bill said...

What's annoying about your habit? It's smart to keep an open mind. Early in your life, you need to test the choice you made (or the choice effectively made for you) fresh out of school. Even later, you should look at new prospects. It would be awful to spend a lifetime in a career that you had outgrown. And think about the people laid off when their chosen occupation collapses who have no idea what they might do next. Don't job hop lightly, but don't assume that you'll have the same drives or goals at 45 that you did at 25. I think your habit is a healthy, intelligent one.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

Note to self: Do not let CircleV borrow "Striptease" or "Mighty Aphrodite" from the collection. "Pretty Woman" also off limits until we can assess how serious this grass-greener syndrome is.

12:20 PM  
Blogger V said...

Sweet: Exactly, that's part of the problem, you got to really get in there before you realize it's not for you.

Bill: Maybe so, I am just full of the usual mid-mid life ramblings

Velet: He he, just don't take away my "Showgirls" can't live without it ;)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Maime said...

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO GET YOUR SH*T TOGETHER AND GET YOUR SCREENPLAY DEVELOPED. I NEED TO BE IN YOUR ENTOURAGE AS WE SCOOP THE LOOP IN LA AND FLY BACK AND FORTH TO NEW YORK.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

The antidote to your movie problem is "The Big Lebowski". Watch that and all you'll want to do is abide with white russian in hand.

The DH vid below would have been much better if he was singing in german.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

G.I. Jane is on television this month. Don't watch it. So is Funny Face on August 19th on TCM. Audrey Hepburn turns into a fashion model and looks faboo. Watch that one. ;)

3:29 PM  
Blogger V said...

Maime: Deep breath and it's not a screenplay, lover.

Sean: The Dude does abide, a caucasian sounds just refreshing right now, too

WC: Oh, I love that Audrey...

3:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Figuring out what to do with your life never gets any easier. At some point you just get tired of seeing greener grass and just say "Screw it" while you sit back and coast to the bottom of the hill.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

With each year that goes by, life continues to get more complicated with more and more big choices. The time to do something is now. Work takes up too much time in our life to have it be boring, routine or mundane. Go. Go get you some Johnny Depp. Do friends get to come along? Because I can bring cupcakes. Why? Because I no longer want to be in Corporate American. I want to open a bakery.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com