Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pass the Effing Tissue.

Let me say this first, I hate whiners and thin skinned weak asses, and I certainly have enough bitch exterior to ward off most people if I want. However, I have a particular problem, I cry at movies….A LOT.

I recently made the mistake of watching ALL of Titanic again (not just up until they do it in the car, which is usually where I turn it off), and I was a sobbing mess.

I also, apparently, cannot watch “kid movies” as I cry a pretty decent amount then, too, including the Parent Trap (with L-Lo), any of the Anne of Green Gables series or any version of Little Women...and there are many others.

I particularly hate crying in the theater. The worst of it was at Beauty and the Beast (1991), Armageddon (1998) and The House of Sand and Fog (2003). On all three occasions, I had to hold my breath so I wouldn’t start audibly sobbing in the theater.

I also refuse to watch war movies or movies where "normal" people tell me how much they cried, for example, The Notebook.

And, of course, my mother is the exact same way. While I would like to think it’s my superhuman ability to empathize, it might also just be that we are just cry babies. It pisses me off. I cried while watching the music video “Just the Two of Us” or whatever by Will Smith for chrissake and don’t even get me started on the traditional “chick flicks” like Steel Magnolias, Dying Young or Beaches. Fucking embarrassing.

I remember the first time I cried while watching TV, too. It was such a weird experience. It was during an episode of Highway to Heaven and Michael Landon’s character helped some old guy go to those pearly gates. I remember that man’s old face as he walked down the smoky, but well lit stretch of road. It really got me. I remember my dad being kind of surprised because I was pretty young at the time maybe 4 or 5 and he explained that it was just TV. I told him how I felt and he laughed and said I was going to be just like my mother.

He got that right.

24 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

I'm having problems envisioning this. Tough Okie V crying over Titanic? Say it ain't so!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Yeah, seriously, stay the EFF away from The Notebook!

I cry in movies and at TV... god, when Felicity and Party of Five were on, I got guaranteed two cries a week... and I've never cried like I did over The Notebook. I even hated the movie, and it still made me cry.

Stay FAR away.

2:16 PM  
Blogger V said...

i-66: I KNOW...needless to say, I never made a very good "movie date"--tears and snot are not so hot.

K: :) Agreed. One of my most hardass friends told me as much too and that just scared the hell out of me.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous slingblade said...

Yew shudda seen me a bawling watching Dewkes of Hazzard the othern day.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Titanic makes me cry also. But for a different reasons (the Celine Dion song comes to mind), then I just get really sick.

2:50 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

Don't forget about television commercials! Anything by Hallmark just kills me. And those human interest stories that they have during the Olympics or the Ironman Triathlon? Bawling for hours, spigot turned on full blast.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Sweet said...

Oh I'm right with you on this one. If I've already seen a movie, I'll start tearing up for an emotional part that's coming. The scene with that little girl in 'Crash.' Gets me every time!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous paulp said...

When are you going to tell us why you hope that the WPT loses the lawsuit. They issued a response to the players a couple of days ago. I am interested to hear what you think about the response.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous paulp said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:01 PM  
Blogger V said...

Paul: I will. Thanks for sending Daniel N's post, too. I'm going to read it and get back to you.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Sally said...

This occasionally happens to me if an ending is particularly inspiring or uplifting. For example, I cried at the end of "Elf". Yes, the Will Ferrell movie.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Sally said...

Oh and the first movie I ever cried in was "The Land Before Time" when Littlefoot's mom dies. SO SAD!!!

3:17 PM  
Blogger V said...

Sally: OMG, Littlefoot's mom...sniff, sniff...

PS Glad you're back, can't wait to hear stories :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger dn said...

The 4th grade teacher at my school read "Where the Red Fern Grows" aloud every year, and cried each time she reached the climatic chapter. Every class had the shared experience of watching her stuggle through the words, half-reading, half-sobbing.

3:35 PM  
Blogger TKR said...

I can relate. My particular problem is a variation of yours where I can't cry in real life at all but sit me in front of a movie like the ones you mentioned (or stuff like Rudy, etc) and I am gone. I realized recently this could be a problem.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

I always cry during "Prison Break"- the black guy's life is just so sad. And that preview they are running for "The Office" where they show the big kiss is killing me.

4:48 PM  
Blogger wharman said...

I cried watching Little Miss Sunshine the other day, and it was one of the most funny movies I've ever seen! A little bit because I felt sad, and a little bit because I was laughing too hard.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Brock said...

Sally - I just added Land Before Time to the top of my Netflix queue - thanks :-)

At least you're a lady. My roommate JymBob does the same thing, and it's tough for a fella named JymBob to be crying through a movie with other guys in the room.

7:51 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

i am ashamed to admit i cried at the finale of sex and the city.... but stay away from the first Fievel movie. that damn mouse and his travels are too heartbreaking!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Freckled K said...

I cried at Little Miss Sunshine, for the same reasons as Wharman.

My most embarrassing cry was, at 25, over the big-screen version of Casper (starring Christina Ricci). He just wanted to be a real boy! It broke my heart.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Living in Dupont said...

I never cried at movies or for TV growing up (though now, put on Phantom or Waking the Dead and I'm a goner). I did, though, cry over books. I remember the first time it ever happened. I was probably in 4th or 5th grade, lying on my parents' couch, reading the last of the historical fiction Wolf by the Ears by Ann Rinaldi (the one about the supposed half-slave daughter of Jefferson) and I had never even heard of anything like 'race relations' before. I mean, in my town, I was lucky I knew who MLK Jr was, but the book just hit me so hard. It was weird.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Bex said...

Oh my god, DN, we must have had the same 4th grade teacher, because mine cried through "While the Red Fern Grows" as well. Damn uncomfortable. She had the whole class weeping.

9:14 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Yeah, I'll get misty over just about anything if I let it happen. It's quite annoying at times and I end up concentrating so much on NOT crying that I miss the movie.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com