Thursday, August 24, 2006

My first big online “win”

As my loyal readers know, I have become more serious about poker over the past year. This seriousness means I play a few cash games around town and then in a local pub league a couple games a week. I have done pretty well there, once winning two in a row (7:00 and 10:00 games).

A recent computer upgrade has led me to venture into online poker at Fulltiltpoker.com. I’ve been playing a couple times a week. I started in cash games and was lucky to break even. Then I started playing in larger tournaments with small buy-ins ($5, 10) and sit-in-gos (smaller tournaments).

Last night, I bought into a tournament for $10 with about 700 other people. After several hours of pretty conservative play, I started getting the cards I wanted and finally got a feel for online tournament play. I had one of the larger chip stacks for a couple more hours. There were two players that became my “friends.” Nice people who kind knew what hands I played (generally) and were chatty. That made the hours of playing a little more engaging.

Finally, it got to about 20 players, mostly around the same chip stack size. A few more go out, double up, etc. I see some nice hands and keep my big stack. I lose a pretty big chunk of it, battle on, etc.

Final table rolls around and I’ve made it. While originally I had just been hoping to get my money back (place top 60 of 700) I was really happy to make the final table (9 player total). After lots of folds, I get a couple good hands, a couple players go out and I’m still in it. Finally it comes down to six players, three of us are all about the same chip stack size. The other two happen to be the players who have been my “buddies” all along. Several plays go along and one of them busts out. I can see that my goal is 3rd. If I can just beat this other guy, I’ll consider it a win as the other two have us out stacked 8-1. Finally, he goes out, and I can relax in 3rd. I battle back a little and then lady luck stops and I’m out.

My third online tournament is over, it’s 2:30 a.m. and I just turned $10 into $780. No complaints from me.

CircleV Note: I won’t regale you with every top three finisher story, I swear. Just wanted to let you know about my first one :)

22 Comments:

Blogger JoJo said...

I say that's time well spent! Well done!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

You need to go to The Onion. They just posted an article about the BoSox/Yankees rivalry. Are you psychic or what?

9:20 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Congratulations V!

As you know I also am a poker player, but I have yet to venture into the world of online poker for fear of playing through the night without realizing it, etc. Your experience is an encouraging one, leaning me slightly more towards giving it a shot.

9:33 AM  
Blogger V said...

Jo: Thanks, and have a great vaca, too!

Sean: That article was effing funny, I also thought the NOW one was funny, too.

i-66: Thanks--and while I'll never stop playing live, these online games are helping me really hone in on when to fold on raises, position, stack size, etc. Also, I am working on my pot odds calls so this helps with those, too.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

ROCK ON!!

Nice work. I keep telling BP and his buddies they'd never beat you. Men.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous bill said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy it both for the sense of having played well and the "spare change." Thank you for having told the story so well. No surprise there, really. I'd be quite happy if you did regale us with every story, but perhaps you should do it on another blog for a narrower audience? Lucky Lady V or V Plays to Win maybe. I'd read!

9:47 AM  
Blogger V said...

Thanks, K. Though I'm not sure you'd want to put your money on me, I do have a pretty sweet table that's available anytime. I'll let you know next time we have a game at my place--we'll get you into it, too ;)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

You rock at this, Miss V. You've obviously got a knack for this.

9:55 AM  
Blogger PRSlaveDC said...

Very nice! Congrats! Has there ever been discussion of a blogger poker night? Seems like you'd be a likely one to fleece us all out of our money. :)

10:08 AM  
Blogger V said...

WC: Thanks--of course the better i get the more I see I need to learn

PR Slave: There has been some talk, and both i-66 and DC Bachelor would def give me a run for my money. It would be a lot of fun though.

If there was enough interest I could def set something up.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Velvet said...

I don't know why but this story just gave me the warm and fuzzies. Awesome!

Hey, one of these times you play in town, can I come with? I want to learn how to play.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Irish Red said...

Congrats, darlin! I never have the guts to play for actual money...just 'tokens' on pogo.com :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm impressed. I'll bet this could turn into an addiction! But then, I never heard of anyone OD'ing on online poker, so go for it!

11:04 AM  
Blogger O-FACE said...

Ummmmmm, why are you blogging about illegal gambling.................................Do you know that the guy who started bodongo.net is a billionaire living in Costa Rica??????? He was flat broke when he started and got the idea from playing cards with some gangsta's in the early 90's.........He owns about 60 million dollars worth of real estate in U.S. and Cananda....useless trivia for thursday.......

11:18 AM  
Blogger O-FACE said...

Ok.....I thought the avatar for Kathryn was Jon Bennett Ramsey......

11:20 AM  
Anonymous paulp said...

Congrats! That's a nice score for $10.

11:57 AM  
Blogger V said...

Velvet: Absolutely! I play in really friendly games a couple times a week (costs $5 and you get a beer) at Coyote Ugly in Chinatown. I'll email you more info. The more I think about the more maybe we should have a blogger game :)

irish: Like I said, the games I go to are cheap and fun--you should give it a try. I'd be a big hit if you and Velevet came--not a lot of cute girls there ;)

B: Yep, I've been pretty into for a while, but this just allows me to have to feel less bad when I lose for a little while as I'm up now.

O: That would be a sweet life

Paul: Thanks, man!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Bad at Life said...

Congrats! I keep dabbling in online poker but have never won that big. That's a monster win. I will be uber-pissed if those asshats in congress actually manage to take away my online gambling addiction.

1:57 PM  
Blogger V said...

BAL: Thanks, yeah, I was stoked. I think us onliners are good for now, but certainly not safe.

And, you and I have some talking to do re: a little unfinished bidness.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

Congrats! The first big win is always a great one.


Have you thought about playing tournaments with bigger buy ins? My husband and I usually play online and do the one table tourny with a $20 or $50 buy in on Party Poker or Poker Room dot com. Since you are only up against one table full of people, the odds seem better than sitting in a 100 man tourny. We usually do pretty well for ourselves, and come up on the plus side every week.

If you're ever looking for a new game to play in, my crew has a weekly tourn on Sat night. It's a $30 buy in with a $10 bounty. We usually get between 10-16 people, and run 2 tables until we can get down to one. Depending on the amount of people, payout usually goes to top three. When enough people go out, they sometimes do a cash game after.

Anyhow, we're always looking for new people to play if you're ever interested!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Needtsza said...

excellent! Never played on Fulltilt, only Bodog. Is full better?

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com