Monday, May 08, 2006

What I remember was fun and a couple thoughts.

First, as always, a big thanks to Kathryn and DC Bachelor for another great happy hour. From what I can remember, I had a great time. And from what I don’t remember, but have read, was also sloppy (you're shocked, I know).

I really enjoy these events more and more. I do. There is a fun energy and it is an excellent excuse to throw a few (or more) back with some smart, interesting and generally, really fun people.

First, let me just say that while I happily take responsibility for being a drunk, I will blame this guy and his lovely lurker friends for getting me WASTED. Because I am basically incapable of saying no to a shot, I proceeded to slam WAY too many. Flash to a bit later, I can only hope my serious love for Sally will mean she forgives me for spilling salsa on her super hot dress.

Yep, so I am TOLD I was at Dragon Fly. Of course the black out curtain fell at about that time. I kind of remember making it to there, but not really. I am sure it was lots of fun, and I did all sorts of funny (read: annoying) things. Let’s just hope, if you were there, you were drunk and didn’t mind. And, if you did mind, you probably shouldn't be drinking with me.

I’d like to say that I really got my shit together on Saturday. But I didn’t. I threw on a sun dress and went to a great Kentucky Derby party. Aside from learning that I do love mint juleps, I also had an amazing time visiting with some of my favorite people on a nice roof deck on a sunny afternoon. Later, we all went and had an amazing dinner at Russia House and aside from a small snafu at the end of the night, it was a pretty successful couple of days.

On Sunday, as I tried to let my liver begin to heal, I talked to a couple friends about my weekend. And, I realized, that as silly as it sounds, one of the most important aspects of having a good drinking buddy is trust. They’ll listen to the same stories, laugh at your stupid jokes and even go get a late night snack when you know you shouldn’t. They also will bail you out of tight spot, not mind if you get overly emotional or even rather offensive. A drinking buddy means letting your guard down. It means you’re probably going to say stuff you don’t mean, act in ways you don’t like and most likely, your friends will, too.

And, one of the main reasons I think these bloggy nerd fests have been going so well is that on some level having a blog creates vulnerability and that those who still like you deserve a degree of trust from you. It’s like you’ve told them some aspects of your personality and they still want to take a shot with you. And, in the midst of my millionth shot on Friday, or as I looked around at my friends at dinner on Saturday, I realized that while the degrees of trust will naturally vary, it is nice to know that it is still being created and built upon.

15 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I can so see you being a Derby chick in a sundress...

12:42 PM  
Blogger V said...

It was a lot of fun...I did not have a hat, however, and was very jealous of several fab ones some ladies there were sporting.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Bad at Life said...

Sorry about the whole getting you wasted thing. If it's any consolation, we ended up way deep in the bag ourselves. My very first blogger happy hour and I came away looking as though I'm both bad at drinking and life.

It was great meeting you though--at least I think it was great from what I recall.

12:59 PM  
Blogger V said...

Please, no worries. It was great to meet you and your buddies and I'm glad you all had fun :)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

You were a treasure, even if you don't know Bo Derek is a chick. :)

At least, I think that was you...

1:53 PM  
Blogger V said...

Oh snap, if that was me that's awesome...I just watched 10 the other day so I can't believe I said that...

2:06 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Well on a positive, you are a very nice drunk. You bought me a drink and a shot.

3:19 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

Had a blast...And thanks for the shot...I think I left Dragonfly before you came...Booze is fun on fridays...:-)

4:16 PM  
Blogger V said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:33 PM  
Blogger V said...

Heather: Oh, there were many positives and hangin w/ you was one of them. Nice work on the Kos mention too (wink)

Kassy: I am starting to think I am my own worst enemy on this shot business...but you are right about Fridays :)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

It's settled. Next HH shall be a Friday.

God help us all. Jeebus, too.

8:37 PM  
Blogger roosh said...

word to fridays. i can drink with impunity for a change

12:25 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

You have achieved rock star status in my book. Wish I had been there. If only to take pictures . . .

12:02 PM  
Blogger V said...

K: You got that right!

DCB: Exactly...and the goal for next time is I will remember why that impunity is warrented :)

Kris: I imagine you are my wino soul mate, come to the next one, please!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Ashburnite said...

damn...I am so disappointed that I missed it- sounds like a good time was had by all. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the next one.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com