Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A true "famous for DC" experience for the Okies

If you are looking to bask in the warm light of local celebs, I’d suggest the early bird special at Hank’s on Q and 17th. It was one of my dinner stops for my parents who were in town from Oklahoma. Hank's is BY FAR the best place to eat on 17th, and in my opinion, one of the best in DC. I took my parents there on Saturday night and boy were they surprised when I coolly mentioned that THE George Stephanopoulos had just walked in and was sitting at the high top table beside us.

Mom: No, that’s not him.

V: Yeah, it is.

Mom: Naw, he looks really different on TV. He’s not that little.

V: Yeah, he is. Have you seen Oprah without her makeup and then on the cover of O? Same difference.

Mom: Is that his wife?

V: Yep, she’s a famous actress (I couldn’t remember the name—it’s Ali Wentworth)

Mom: Is that his daughter?

V: Yep, that's his oldest, I think he has two. I saw him and the nanny playing with them in the rich kid park in Georgetown a couple weekends ago.

Mom: Well she’s really cute. Look at that hair. (Then pause) That child still has her nook! (Nook is Okie for pacifier)

V: Wow, yeah, she does. How old is she?

Mom: At least three, she’s talking (She’ll actually be 4 in September).

V: Is that bad that she still has her nook?

Mom: Yes, it’s bad for her teeth and doctors say that children really should not have them much longer than 2 or 3 years old.

V: They have a nanny, why don’t they get her to play bad cop and get rid of it.

Mom: That’s what we did with you and your brother. Sometimes you just have to be firm with children.

I could see my mom considering whether she should warn George and his wife of the dangers of the nook.

A few minutes later, I look up and this attractive and somewhat familiar redhead walks in and sits at the bar with the guy she’s with. I keep glancing at her because I feel like I’ve met her before or something. I saw she was wearing a scruffy-on-purpose top with nice jeans and some interesting green heels. And, that’s when it clicks: Original Wonkette Anna Marie Cox.

She was with a guy who looked to be a journalist type (I remembered that her husband is an editor at CQ or something like that). Just to be sure I excused myself and went around the bar to go to the WC and indeed there were the little blue stars tattooed on her arm I remembered from her NYT picture--you know, when the Times gave her the "Tom Wolfe treatment" and wrote something like four articles/profiles/reviews about her and her book Dog Days .

When I got back I tried to explain in really general terms who AMC was to my parents (err, she made fun of politics on the Internet and then wrote a book), but my parents weren't so impressed.

I think my mom was too busy silently judging the Stephanopoulos family.

11 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Maybe your mom could just send them an anonymous piece of advice about the nook. Although most children these days are bound for orthodonture anyway so it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I'm sure your family was impressed with your DC connections! You didn't tell them about Betty did you?

2:46 PM  
Blogger V said...

Barbara: No talk of Bettie or blogs with the parents--we can't all have moms as cool as you :)

2:51 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

Great spotting!! I saw Chris Matthews on the street once and I was the only one who knew who he was...I was like "Hey look look". AHAHA Its only us DC-ers that find seeing any DC quasi celebs fun.

Esp when my sis sees Liv Tyler, Julianne Moore and Jimmy Fallon on an almost daily basis.

ARGH.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

So which one is Schmoopy?

4:17 PM  
Blogger V said...

Kassy: Yeah, you're sister does have one up on your there, but whatev, I'd rather see our Famous for Dcs anyway.

Sean: Too close to call.

4:42 PM  
Blogger TKR said...

I think my Okie parents would be impressed too.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous kyle said...

I saw Jimmy Swaggerts hooker once.
Well, more than once to be honest.

6:41 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

George Snuffleupagus is an asshat. Not as bad as Ralph Nader, who friggin' cut in front of me in a crosswalk (who does that?), but an annoying little troll nonetheless.

8:39 AM  
Blogger KassyK said...

V-Agreed. :-)

8:43 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

There is something creepy about a child 4 yrs old with a pacifier. Same goes for the parents who allow it.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I think your brother acted more like a celebrity when HE was in town. George and Ali? BO-ring.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com