Friday, April 21, 2006

Yep, still a bitch, just like in high school.

Well, yesterday was great. My friend Maime decided to open a myspace account and sent me her profile. Curiosity set in, and I did a search of people who I graduated with from high school. The big surprise would be when I see the picture below (um, it's me). That's creepy.


Of course, then I realized that no, it’s not so much creepy as the fact that I’m an idiot and forgot that I had created an account over a year ago due to peer pressure. I set it up with minimal information and then forgot about altogether.
Flash forward a year and I was surprised to see that some of my high school and college classmates had sent me e-mails MONTHS ago. Sometimes a couple e-mails. I guess they figured it out when I hadn’t checked my profile in a while that I just wasn’t ignoring them or anything. So yesterday, I was e-mailing with people who I haven’t seen / thought about in YEARS.

Okay, so for you myspace experts, tell me if this is worth my time?

Kathryn has found it to be entertaining. I know I’ve read others w/ opinions on this subject.

Inital Questions:
I am assuming people just cut and paste the weird e-mails, right? I mean this one guy who is a drag queen in the Maryland/DC area sent me a five paragraph proposition. Yeah, I’m cute and kinda have some cleavage in my pic, but five paragraphs, really?

Is it okay to “make friends” online? Your response would be “You have blogger friends” Right. But I have met them in person in a very public venue where they could not chop me up or whatever. I don’t think I’m going to just meet some dude from Virginia who also has a myspace account who wants to be my friend at Cosi.

Does this make me even more lame? Be honest. Factor in 1) I’m a blogger 2) have blogger friends 3) work in public policy 4) like to drink alone. Yeah, I’ve got maybe two to three lame levels left, my friends, and I’m not sure myspace is worth the jump to "borderline sad."

Here are some pros and cons:

Pro: Quick and easy contact with people I never talk to, but have an interest in how they are doing.
Con: After the initial work/life stuff there just ain’t much to say.

Pro: Can look at pictures and details of said people I know and see how they look/changed in recent years
Con: Details provide pretty basic silly insight with occasional hot photo. Also, I don’t know them that well anymore so that makes me feel sorta like a lurker perv.

Pro: I get e-mails from people who I no longer have anyway to contact
Con: I get e-mails from sickos who tell me about how they like to have sex.

Pro: It’s easy and online so I can stop reading blogs for a while and do something else.
Con: It’s easy and online so I have one more thing to do instead of working.

The jury is still out. I probably will keep my profile up for a little while and just see how it goes.

Plus, my online stalking of my high school crush has yet to be successful.
Update: Myspace on everyone's mind? This morning's Wonkette read led me to this little post, which is quite helpful in the "con" column. Note to self: Do not post keg stand in a skirt pic.

14 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I need to set up a myspace thing. My friend from school sent me a link to his so I can see pics of his kids but you can't see the pics if you're not a member. Do adults (besides weirdos) use these things a lot?

10:59 AM  
Blogger V said...

HIN: I think so...my brother tells me myspace is for non-college people and facebook is for those still in school. Not sure if there are others.

11:05 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I'm pro myspace.

Aside from familiar bloggers, nary a person I've added is someone I've never met.

Every now and again I get a pleasant surprise, and those tend to outnumber the unpleasant.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Lonnie Bruner said...

I don't think it's lame at all. There are lots of singles in big cities that would like to know more people like themselves and all those routes - myspace, blogger happy hours, etc - aren't lame at all.

You guys are quite lucky, I think.

11:32 AM  
Blogger KassyK said...

AH, I was just co-erced into the myspace thing a few months ago and yes--there are some damn creepy people on there...but also some interesting ones as well (random old school friends)...But I have to agree with you that there is something safer about Blogging...

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Sally said...

I have a faux myspace based on Stacey McGill from "Baby-Sitters Club". I only use it to look people up. Of course, I also have a fake friendster profile, and stole this girl's identity from facebook to create it. Same reason.

I really am on facebook though.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Emails from people 'proposing' to be your friend is weird.

12:14 PM  
Blogger V said...

i-66: This has been my experience so far, too. Just got an e-mail from this really cool guy from h.s. that I haven't talked to since then.

LB: That's good perspective

Kassy: Yep, meeting new people on myspace feels a bit weird...

Sally: You are a riot--I cannot wait to do shots w/ you and talk about high heels and fatties dancing on the bar at Coyote.

Phil: This is true. I am gathering strange stories like that for a muli-myspace series next week.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Ashburnite said...

haha....thanks for the link. And I would definitely stay away from the naked keg-stand pics...or you might just end up on my blog. But seriously, I have re-connected with a LOT of friends whom I had lost contact with, and made quite a few new ones. Yes, it's geeky, but hey, at least you can surf through all of the bad pics.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous jeff gannon said...

Phil. Let's be friends.

1:57 PM  
Blogger V said...

Ash: No prob, it was a really funny post. You're right, I'm looking forward to laughing at others.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Pull it down man! MS is LAME. You just don't seem like MS material. It's for teenyboppers with a one way ticket to the real life slasher filmfest. Blogging without being anonymous is bad enough you crazy kids. Everyone after my generation (I'm 32) became incredibly trusting and naive when it comes to the internet. Got to consider all the angles. Don't end up on mydeathspace.com, you'll feel really stupid.

4:22 PM  
Blogger dn said...

If you're not in a band, to hell with it. I was told I HAD to get a Friendster account, and then I HAD to get on Facebook, and now I'm supposed to run to get on MySpace?

6:36 PM  
Blogger V said...

Sean: Mydeathspace does not sound cool, thanks for the warning.

Dan: Yeah, I know, but my understanding is myspace is an even better way to see how fat and lame all your classmantes have gotten.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com