Monday, April 03, 2006

Thank You for Not Sucking

So I had a hot date yesterday to check out Basic Instinct 2, and (are you ready for this) the movie wasn’t that bad. My hopes for it to be the next Showgirls were totally off the mark as I forgot that Sharon Stone can act, and it wasn’t written by Joe Eszterhas.

While two mimosas certainly enhanced the experience, I’d recommend you rent it to enjoy ALL that Sharon Stone has to offer. Highlights include when the clothes are on they are very sexy/chic, the lines and plot are as predictable as they are deliciously over the top and basically every outfit screams "SLUTBAG." And, aside from the person either sitting in front of me or behind me that had stepped in dog shit, which I could smell at intermittent times during the movie, it was a quality cinematic experience.

Also worth noting, Thank You for Smoking was pretty damn good. I had some concerns about how “preachy” it would get, but it ended up working pretty well. The only thing that kind of weirded me out was the character played by Katie Holmes. No, I was not weirded out because Katie Holmes’ performance actually didn’t destroy my will to live, but rather, that author Christopher Buckley based the character on Maureen Dowd. And, Maureen Dowd responded to this by saying she was “flattered.”

Yikes. When I read that, I expected the character to be plucky...not slutty. The Katie Holmes character sleeps with the main guy (who may have about the best name ever--Nick Naylor) to get her exposé on him. She full on uses him with no scruples or shred of journalistic integrity. It’s pretty repulsive. And, Maureen, apparently, is cool with that. I’m not saying she should have freaked out and sued or anything, but maybe instead of embracing the stereotype of how attractive lady-reporters “get” the story, she could have made a mention of it being a satire or something! I mean she might as well of responded with, “I’m flattered because I whored and slutted my way to the top, that’s how all us dames do it.” Silly me for assuming her old column "On Washington" shouldn't be taken literally.

Take note ladies, men "are necessary" if you want a career in this town.

9 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

saWEET! "you're necessary" is the nicest thing I've heard all day! :)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

I didn't smell the dogshit! He kept stamping his foot and making noise, though.

They didn't really deliver on all the nudity promises, either, not really. I guess that would be another reason to go with the dvd.

11:24 AM  
Blogger V said...

i-66: Well of course you are.

K: Glad you missed it. And, I agree, let's hope they put in the good ol fashioned hard core scenes for the DVD

12:45 PM  
Blogger Virgle Kent said...

“I’m flattered because I whored and slutted my way to the top, that’s how all us dames do it.”

I KNEW IT!

Why do women have it so easy?

2:57 PM  
Blogger Complacent Chase said...

I'm waiting to see both those movies on DVD.

5:12 PM  
Blogger V said...

VK: Right, it's one big ol piece of hot ass cake.

CC: Probably a good idea. Thank You for Smoking was good, but nothing I'd rush to the theater to see.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, I'd go for ICE AGE 2 instead.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous jessica said...

In DC I met many wonderful men that without the help of I wouldn't be where I am today. God knows what would have become of my career minus their recognition of my true worth and abilities and sending me on my way.

Oh by the way that was me behind you. I didn't step on dogshit but rather sat on some.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous jessica said...

It's like, ya know, my new kink.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com