Thursday, April 06, 2006

Jesus Loves Me

A big thanks to Wonkette and my girl Cat for last night.

Walking into the University Club, Cat and I didn’t know how “closed” this event would be. We grabbed a glass of wine in viewing distance of the poker room that was adjacent to the bar. After a little while, I saw people started to gather so we went on in. Of course, it is hard to “crash” anything when I was there all of a minute before seeing someone I knew. Typical.

However, the people I was really excited to see there were Chris “Jesus” Ferguson (with me in photo) and Howard “the Professor” Lederer (being interviewed with Chris below). These gentlemen have been two of my very favorite poker players for a while.


Chris Ferguson, in particular, is one of the classiest guys in the game. I talked with him for a while about how bull shit this bill is to stop online poker (Hello, Rep. Goodlatte, does your party's ideals of free market and government interference stop at church doors?) and also discussed past poker experiences. It should also be noted that Chris has never seen the Big Lebowski, but swore he would soon. I guess people ask him if he has a lot (one of the funniest characters in it is named Jesus), however, he did not think he could actually start telling people “Nobody fucks with the Jesus.” I think he’d get a penalty for that.

Another tidbit I learned is that the World Series of Poker may be sans the big stars we’d all like to see. WSOP has an online gaming company (that’s mostly played overseas) and anyone who signs on to play in it has to give away rights to have their image and likness used. Because so many of these players already work for other companies (Fulltiltpoker.com, for example) they won’t be able to play. Of course, negotiations are still going on so it may get resolved.

Aside from a great conversation with Chris Ferguson, I also got to play at his table (even took down the first pot).

I had nice Edelman guys to my left and right and also Washington Post reporter Roxanne Roberts was there. She definitely held her own. Roxanne had some great questions for Chris while we were all playing, but she did not believe him that he could slice certain fruits and vegetables with a card.
After we had played for a while some brought a large carrot for him to show her another of his card skills. As you can see he made short work of that carrot. He even gave me the Joker card that sliced it and wrote, “Jesus Loves you.” Awesome.


And, thanks again to Poker Players Alliance --but be sure to learn more about why these bills are bull shit.





7 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

SO awesome.

You never cease to amaze.

I have enough trouble cutting a carrot with a knife :\

8:18 AM  
Blogger V said...

It was great. I've meet "famous people" but meeting the Jesus doesn't even compare.

And, that carrot cutting with the card was awesome.

9:14 AM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Looks a bit like my boy Rob Zombie.

By the way - when are we going out and pounding shots, girlie??

2:34 PM  
Blogger V said...

You're right, that's funny.

Drop me a line/give me a ring and let's discuss. Sooner the better!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

You know, I don't play poker at all but this overlegislating crap is pissing me off. THis is the first I've heard of it and I want to vomit. There really seems to be no end to it either. We're all going to be made criminal one way or another, by the REAL criminals called politicians. VIVA ONLINE POKER!!!! Even though I'll never play it.

4:01 PM  
Blogger V said...

Sean: Whatever happened to adults making choices? And, what' even worse is that this legislation only punishes online gaming,others magically (read: groups with more money)are left out.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

I checked out Good Latte's website. Read the first two paragraphs and have a laugh.

http://www.house.gov/goodlatte/

I guess he thinks you playing poker will distract you from being a productive cog?

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com