Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Big Winner

I won my first poker tournament last night. I like heads up hold em a lot more than I expected. I've played a few times, but this was much more serious. We were down to the last two of about 60 players, everyone was standing around and yelling or reacting to plays. At one point, I was down to one bet left with my chip stack, and I just went all in blind. I won. And then did it again. And then did it again. Won all of those, too. Then started playing seriously once I had my money back. I won the game with a wired pair of sevens. I was pretty proud of myself.

Then as I got into a cab to leave this man was coming out the door and waved to the cab driver. I'm not sure if he wanted to split the fare with me or just didn't see that I was in the cab. The man was black and the cab driver who I believe was Pakistani pulls away and says, "Too bad I've got my shades on, I just couldn't see that guy."

Yikes. Nothing like a cab driver who speaks just enough English to throw racist comments out there.

6 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Congratulations!

Our house game next week should be Thursday in Fairfax (close to Fast Eddies - I think you know where that is) if you want to make the trip out.

You're more than welcome.

2:13 PM  
Blogger roosh said...

how much you win? and where was this?

3:07 PM  
Blogger V said...

i-66: If I had wheels, I'd be there, but as it were, I'll stick to DC games. Thanks for the invite though.

DCB: This was public game so you can't win money, just prizes. They play every Tues and Thurs (7 and 10) at Coyote Ugly (yeah, seriously). It's just a good place to get better.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested in private cash games/tourneys in the city.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I think it is tres cool that you are doing this....and tres uncool to that cab driver.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Complacent Chase said...

Congrats on your win!
Boo to the cab driver!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Funny you should say that - I just read a column in the paper about ABC reporters driving cabs and throwing out racial barbs to see if they could get their 'fares' to react - with hidden cameras in the cabs.

they were in several parts of the country - georgia being one (I'm sure thinking they would strike racist gold).

However, I think this was a few weeks back that they did this.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com