Monday, March 06, 2006

Back in DC.

It is fan-freaking-tastic to be back in DC. Seriously, eight days in Cali was a bit too long for me. Though I did really enjoy the weather and sunshine, I missed this place, I missed the seasons.

So, yeah. Good stuff. Um, as I mentioned in a comment previous, I totally hung with a vineyard owner from Spain. Basically, when I got to San Fran, I found a cute Spanish restaurant that was playing flamingo music (a siren song for me), and I cozied up with a glass of red and my bluff mag. Pretty soon a portly old man stumbled up to me and pointed to my wine and said what I assumed was “what kind?” So I showed him on the menu. He frowned and walked to the can. I looked at the bartender confused, and he explained that this man owned a vineyard in Spain and I was not drinking his wine. The man came back by and pointed to a seat at his table w/ two other nice Spaniards. I sat down and tried some Bodegas Aresan and the wine was better. The other vineyard owner of Bodegas y Castiblanque introduced himself to me and we all started chatting (or interpreting). The portly owner had some Cuban cigars so he and I smoked them outside as the others gathered their stuff (he had also befriended some locals and some ladies from Boston). While we were enjoying his Hoyo de Monterrey from de Cuba, I am pretty sure he was trying to tell me that he had some champagne back at his room (as he kept saying sham-pain-ya and pointing to his hotel key), but I’m not sure (nor did I find out).

The cab ride back to my hotel after the bar closed also proved to be interesting as my driver and I had a pretty serious discussion about how life should be lived. His brother had recently died due to a bad lifestyle and he was really anti-vices. Not that I’m really pro per se, but since he came from a wealthy family, I told him he should take more time to enjoy life instead of driving one of the cabs in his cab company for the sake of pride or honor or whatever. It was an interesting conversation.

Work stuff went okay, and I went to dinner with my client. We ate at the oldest restaurant in California and third oldest in the country, the Tadich Grill. It’s a a family business and sea food restaurant, which has been in continuous operation since 1849, during the California Gold Rush days. The food was amazing and the wait well worth it.

I also was pleasantly surprised that my dear friend Steve (who many of you know) was in town at the same time as me. He gave the grand SF tour and I must say it is a fantastic place. From The Golden Gate Bridge to Alcatraz to Castro street (where we ate and I was the only vag in the place), I loved the whole experience. We had the most amazing Italian food and then met up with some people and went to a fun hip hop club and then to Rosewood, a hip little bar with cheap bottles of champagne (a perfect combination). A couple of the people we were with seemed a little uptight, but once I got a couple glasses of bubbly down em, we were all hitting the dance floor. It was great.

My flight back home included a stop over Las Vegas. I rode First Class from San Fran and had a very comfortable view of the city’s golden lights. It is incredible how black everything is over the desert at night and then suddenly there are millions of glowing lights seemingly coming from nowhere. I could also see the main strip and it was all I could do to not hop in a cab to just get a brief stinky eye full. But I didn’t. I sat in the airport bar and watched Duke get their ass kicked with some stoner coming back from Utah. I'll get you next LV, you hot vixen.

So, while I tolerate LA, I enjoy San Diego and adore San Fran.

6 Comments:

Blogger Complacent Chase said...

Welcome back! Glad the trip was a success!!

6:58 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

welcome back, dear V

7:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sounds like a pretty cushy job that takes you to all these places in California!

9:49 PM  
Blogger V said...

Chase and i-66: Thanks!

Barbara: The job just took me to San Fran, I was visiting a friend in San D.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Floyd said...

What is flamingo music? Do you mean flamenco music?

11:30 PM  
Blogger V said...

Floyd: Oh shit, that's hilarious, I didn't even notice that had changed--stupid spell check.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com