Wednesday, March 15, 2006

30 Pieces of Silver OR Who is Safe?

V Note: As you read this keep in mind as an agnostic 4-life, I would happily sell out for a shockingly small sum. I’m not “that guy” who thinks everyone with a contract not written on rolling paper is a poser.


Every morning I am inspired by MTV and VH1. That’s right, if I wanted to do it, I could post thoughts somehow inspired by or related to a music video. This morning, I saw the Matisyahu video for about the hundredth time. My intention was to post about religion because I think educated America has this “I’m okay, you’re okay” complex where you have to love and accept everyone, damnit. In my opinion, that’s some bunk as there are all kinds of things I don’t like about pretty much every religion.

However, as I was researching various things that piss me off to bring the kavanah to this Hasidic Jew-licious rapper, I found an even more interesting little nugget. To summarize: Matisyahu is a HUGE sell out. Or, to put it another way: Not even the Hasidic Jews are safe from the siren song of the music industry.

There is a sad account of the whole story. But basically, Matisyahu had a term of three years remaining on his contract with JDub Records, but he dropped the non-profit independent label that was said to have been a huge part of his image, talent, and propelled him to stardom for the cha-ching of the Hollywood agent who “found” Nirvana.

I mean Jesus H. Christ, the man chose as an adult to be a Hasidic Jew and devote his life to strict interpretations of the Torrah. The Torrah. Have you read it, that’s like Scalia strict Constructionist crazy kinda shit! For starters, Matisyahu can’t touch women. He wouldn’t go onstage with Eve because he was so worried about them even shaking hands. He's all Kosher all the time and only sings about G-d and stuff. That’s rock solid dedication for you. But, he still sold out all his buddies that made him a star faster then you can say: 50 Cent and Smartwater.

Or, as his loyal and now bitter old pal said best: “His breach of contract is a clear violation of halakha, but it would be no surprise to me if he had been given a heter from his rav for the sake of spreading Chabad chassidus.” Um, yeah, so suck it.

And, this leads me to the reasonable question: What does it take to not sell out?


Whatever, in other Jewish news, I am still in love with Sarah Silverman...she is magic, she is my everything.




And, see you there.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading about religion and selling out has me musing on the new holiday that I know you doing due diligence on right now.

Circle V in "Eat and be Eaten" co-starring Kyle Foley. Directed by DC Cookie.

Jessica will eat her heart out.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous rcr said...

Yeah, I saw his album on the top shelf of the cd rack at Target. If that's not selling out, I don't know what is.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Complacent Chase said...

When I started seeing this guy everywhere...I knew he was selling out. I mean, you can't be THAT successful as a closed niche performer and not have sold out. His buzz is all over the place. It will be interesting to see what happens with his career.

5:23 PM  
Blogger dn said...

I'd cut him some slack if his music didn't suck.

10:53 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

Ay...my friend used to hook up with him in high school back in his hippie days. Bizarre.

10:26 AM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

I also read that he is not allowed to listen to a woman besides his wife or mother sing, due to his religion.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com