Thursday, February 16, 2006

Date tonight

Okay, so I know I won’t get any (and that’s not really the point). Tonight, I have a date with one of my girlfriends. There was a time when she and I would hang out maybe three times a week, including an all day session on the weekend. We’d talk on the phone the other days and were pretty much in each other’s daily life.

Then came boyfriends, new jobs, new apartments, new roommates, etc., and our relationship just wasn’t the same. We are still very good friends, and I care for her a great deal, but in order for us to see each other, we have to make a date.

In high school, I had approximately five to eight friends at any time whose life I was in on daily. We saw each other everyday, talked on the phone or hung out at night. In college this shifted as I had maybe two or three people who I felt this entwined in their life (and they in mine).

The older I get, the more difficult it is to have friendships that are so involved. I would say since I moved to DC, there have been maybe three to four people that I talk to or see daily. But, time and circumstance has changed most of those friendships in that the dynamic has changed. I don’t feel any differently about those friends who I don’t see or talk to as often, but I also don’t think I appreciated how special it was when we did have that kind of intimacy in our friendship. What does make it a little better is that all of these friendships based in genuine love and concern, and when we do get together, it’s like we never missed a beat.

8 Comments:

Blogger RoarSavage said...

Totally feel you. I have friends from freshman year that no matter when I see them, or how often, they know me, I know them, and nothing could change it. That's real friendship, I think. Who has time to be up each other's butts anymore, anyway? Damn jobs...

4:26 PM  
Blogger Complacent Chase said...

Yeah, it's difficult to maintain friendships on a daily basis because of schedules and priorities. However, your good firned will understand and accomodate one another. That's when you know you got something special.

4:36 PM  
Blogger V said...

Roar: Yes, I agree. But it was fun when we could be really into each other's daily life.

Chase: Word, even with new friends, too ;)

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Days of Broken Arrows said...

Nice post. I was just reminiscing about how my buddies would unexpectedly pop by in high school and get me involved in some caper, sending my life into unexpected tangents. Now I live vicariously through blogs. Yikes!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

That's one thing that seems to define genuine adult friendship. No matter where you left off, you don't miss a beat, and you pick up right where you left off with no discomfort. Have fun.

8:00 PM  
Blogger V said...

Doba: Thanks, I loved those high school days too. One of my favorite capers was when my friends and corned a car (as in stuffed corn stalks all in/over it). Good, clean okie fun.

WC: You are exactly right.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

its good to have friends.

with benefits.


muhaha

fess up!!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I've always said that the sign of a true friendship was when you could just pick up where you left off.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com