Thursday, January 19, 2006

It Official: I'm into it.

V Note: During my re-read of this, I realize an excellent drinking game would be to take a shot anytime I use the word "blog" and it's various other forms. Nasty.

Fine. I embrace it. I'm into being a blogger and that's okay.

I mean it wasn’t a mystery before, but it needed to be said. I started my blog to be able to keep writing because I missed it and most of the writing I do now involves press releases—not the same. So when I started getting a little more into it, I thought of it as still just writing, but it’s in a twenty-first century kind of way.

Last night, however, I realized that I’m into it. I’m into knowing about former-strangers’ lives. I'm into the drama and the creativity. I'm into the first thought people have after a great night or a bad date is: I’ve got to blog this. I'm into making friends that are bloggers, bloggers hooking up and bloggers hating each other. I'm into people being blog celebs and I'm into people trying to be blog celebs.

Sure, it’s a little lame. But to be drawn to the idea of an instant audience with feedback means you’re going to get a certain type of person, and they are usually of the entertaining variety. And, last night at the blog happy hour was certainly entertaining.

I had a great time last night. There were more friendly faces than ever as well as many kind people who recognized my “V” nametag (thanks, K) and said hi. I arrived a little later than planned, but quickly found Kathryn over with the DCist table. After a couple minutes of catching up she bought me a drink (thanks) and the night began.

One of the first new people I met was Roarsavage who went to college in Oklahoma and is quite the cutie. She was “having a lot of fun” and I liked it. I-66 and I took a shot with her, too, which i think really helped kick it off right.

A little later I said goodbye to VP of Dior, but we made a date to hit some strip clubs (PS We really are going to have a lady blogger strip club hop—more details later). Pretty soon DC Bachelor and Miss Metropolis rolled in from drinks at the Science Club (a hot alternative to Rumors). The live blogging commenced and history was made (Kidding!). Kathryn met a “fan” of her blog and Mike, the blogger formerly known from DCist/Roll Call now WaPo Express, stopped by just in time to hear my rant about JC and AMC, poor chap. W e also found out that a former RC colleague of his used to bang my roommate (small world, in theory).

Somewhere in there I talked to the NBC guy Scott about my blog/blogging and possible ways in which blogging can be incorporated into the news. I’m going to think on this some more and post about it. There was also the DC blogs fellow who was very kind.

Okay, another highlight would be meeting Barbara and Reya Mellicker who both seemed to be enjoying the blogger fun. Also met others like Grateful Dating (appolgies if we met and you aren’t mentioned…night got a little fuzzy).

The evening continued with more chatting and drinking, and I have to say a very special THANK YOU to DC Cookie who not only brought her fab self to the HH, but sista gave me a ride home in her hot ass car.

Overview:
--DCB is involved in a couple of these. First, I was loving the headband once again, and pre-libations really helped along some funny stories and thoughts from him. But particularly, I enjoyed his very long conversation with the virgin blogger (who was there and seemed to be your average cute-hipster type, FYI) as well as what looked to be a very interesting “conversation” with roarsavage who by that time was having A LOT of fun.

--I also enjoyed peer pressuring MM as to what she should be doing this weekend. I pulled out the whole “only go around this world once,” “life if boring sieze opportunites,” and “you’re hot, enjoy it” speeches. I am expecting a call-in confirmation from her this weekend that my spiels worked.

--DCist gang showing up (props), but being total table-flowers and hardly chatting to any but their own was not so cool.

--Talking to nice fellow who works at HH locale about his ex-girlfriend who is a blogger and then suddenly damn, there she was!

--Kathryn meeting her “fan” and her analysis after. Nuff said.

--Me (annoyingly) telling the “I totally licked his face” story fifty times.

--Rumors that "The Boy" was there and then not seeing him! Only low point of the night.

--All the really nice comments said to me about my crass ass blog…seriously, you all are too much.

18 Comments:

Blogger Jamy said...

Seriously, your blog is a good read. It was great to meet you. Perhaps we will talk more next time.

12:42 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed the separation of the groups. Can't we all just get along?

12:58 PM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

Sad to say, I am the ex-girlfriend.

Sadder to hear that he was a "nice fellow"...kidding.

Saddest to hear that I did NOT hear the "I licked his face" story.

Agree on the groups, there are still so many bloggers that I have yet to meet despite HH attendance.

1:22 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Sorry I missed you lady!

Can I come to lady-blogger-stripper night?

1:23 PM  
Blogger V said...

Jamy: Thanks, we'll talk more next time

i-66: Maybe we should make nice at the Dcist HH tonight...

Marci: That's too funny, I actually know who you are (he pointed you out) so I'll be sure to tell you next time.

The boy: I'd be offended if you didn't--lap dances for all!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Re: "separation" - baby steps, y'all. They showed up, right? :)

And V, as always, too brief and too good a time with you. Please count me in for strip night.

word veri: liqblv
Liquid Blog V?

2:18 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

yes, the Boy was there.

i can't wait for a strip-club hop. i will volunteer myself as historian of the evening, with a notepad to rate the strippers

great seeing you again!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Good talking to to ya V. - thanks for the ideas/perspective.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Um I expect to be invited to the strip club date w/ VP...I'm informing her as well. :)

2:37 PM  
Blogger roosh said...

good to see you, as always

2:47 PM  
Blogger V said...

K: ditto and you are on the list--

AP of Dior: Great to see you--we will begin the planning soon

Travis: Sure thing.

AM: Start saving those $1 bills, honey!

2:55 PM  
Blogger V said...

dcb: Thanks, same to you (and your headband)

2:56 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

If we hit the strip club as a bunch of ladies, think the strippers will let us cop-a-feel?? MEOW!

Hanging out with V last night is the reason I am convinced that bloggers should meet each other.

Your witty snark is a welcoming contrast to my pushover-esque love for all (well, except shady photographers). Looking forward to your birthday.

3:30 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

is this where I should say I hadn't planned on making DCist tonight?

4:53 PM  
Blogger RoarSavage said...

I *def* had a lot of fun. Lovely meeting a fellow Oklahoman.

And wait: ur going to a girls' or guys' strip club? (Though, I wanna come to either, lol). Bring on the ridiculously over-priced drinks!!!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Complacent Chase said...

Sorry I wasn't able to stay around to see you, girl!
Sign me up for the lady strip club field trip! :-)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Loved our chat in the ladies' room. I could finally hear what I was saying! You are definitely one tough cookie. Can I chaperone lady-blogger-stripper night?

8:32 PM  
Blogger V said...

i-66: I probably won't either...but others can build that bridge

Roar: Girls, fo sho! We'll have a great time!

Chase: I know, let's talk soon.

Barbara: Same to you and of course!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com