Friday, January 13, 2006

I’m getting crankier.

The last few restaurants I have dined at (Georgia Brown’s, inde blue, 1789, Fahrenheit), I have been getting very annoyed at other people being around me. I don’t think I have a “diva” personality. I certainly don’t like brown M&M’s over the blue or demand Fiji water or anything. But I do hate being around other people in restaurants. I don’t like hearing their conversations, looking at them or feeling like I am seated just a little too close to them. I understand why people with money to burn like to burn it on private dinning experiences. Rub elbows with the rift raft? Hell no.

And while this can be added to reasons why I need to get over myself, it is also a point of concern in that I believe I am getting crankier. Being cranky is very unglamorous and seemingly descriptive of people who wear wool socks and drink chocolate Ensure. But, my tolerance level for “other people” seems to be correlated with my age. Every year I get less and less able to tolerate others.

For example, while dinning at 1789 on Monday night for RW, I had to guzzle the wine to not start yelling at the two couples next to me and my date. They were young, married, religious and talking about church and how awesome their lives were. It was like a waspy arms race. Well Brad and I think this, well Bret and I bought that...it was disgusting. One of the guys had on a bowtie and talked about how he answered some question about some religious figure on some test in his doctoral program. Then the cubby married guy next to him boasted how he answered the question. It was agreed on by the wives with the HUGE rings that they both answered very well. I almost asked the waiter to move us.

When I go to bars and order wine, I always say “Just give me a glass of your most recently opened bottle of red.” My expectation is that I don't care what they bring as long as it's not old. Similarly, I’m going to have to start saying to the cute little hostess, “Just give the table reserved for the lepers.” I don't care where I sit just as long as it's not around other people. Fucking Whippersnappers.

Whew, good thing it's a three day weekend, eh?

9 Comments:

Blogger Shanks said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:34 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

cranky is the new tolerant.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous cjt said...

Didn't I tell you to sock 'em in the cock or slug 'em in the snowflake?

And get some pics of this up too OK?

7:07 PM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

When I encounter someone like that, I usually ninja kick them...but then again, I'm a ninja.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Lonnie Bruner said...

Sorry, it's just that the wife and I love religion so much we have to talk about it wherever we go. Hope you enjoyed your meal despite us.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Cranky is the new tolerant? That's really funny, I-66.

CV, you've been doing some serious inner work, I'm sure I don't need to point out recent posts where you're comtemplating various habits you're aware of, dynamics of family and self - so no wonder you're cranky.

There's a place for cranky, especially in restaurants. Last night at Sonoma I wanted to literally place my hand over the mouth of a young woman, shrieking over the too loud music, probably because she had too much to drink. The sound of her voice was so piercing.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Even more annoying than their conversations with another person, it's the ones who blatantly use their cell phones in restaurants who annoy me. I find that there really is no correlation with the number of stars -- cell phones are pervasive these days. We all have our ax to grind...

5:03 PM  
Blogger The Committed One said...

Welcome back V, am so glad you are blogging again ... have really enjoyed the "come back".

I have to agree with you on this post, I feel the exact same way and definitely think that with each passing year my level of tolerance for others diminshes to a lower level. I applaud you on not saying anything in your 1789 situation as I would've totally asked to move.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ugh, I concur on the inversely proportional amount of tolerance for other people. Once upon a time, I had virtually 0 bitchiness in me, but it's multiplying 10 fold every year I age.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com