Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Here's to the new class

V Note: I haven't done any meta-blogging in a while, so you can piss off cause here I go. And, some of this may actually be wrong, it's just how I remember it:



As you probably know, everyone’s fav hostess Kathryn is having another of her famous blog happy hours. I don’t think I have ever actually said this to her, but it is damn good she picked up that baton because we were fizzling out here.

In my humble opinion, DC's blog scene can be divided into two categories. There is the old school and then there is the new class.

Old school would be when Kelly Ann Collins was leading the charge with her Washington Socialites thing. Her website was the reason I started a blog—she and her friends threw parties/happy hours and blogged about her life. I didn’t start reading her until maybe a year before she closed up, but prior to that DC Bachelor and her were friends and he was called DJ Rockinghorse (I think). Then somewhere in there he started the Soros club and then the DC Bachelor and the bit with the haters, etc.

Anyway, my point here is that the first blog happy hour I attended was hosted by DC Bachelor and the haters.

I got drunk. I also tried to lick Mike formerly from Dcists face (classy) and kissed some nice guy smack on the lips because he asked me too. Yeah. I know. So while it was awkward for me not knowing anyone, I had a lot of fun. Moral there: show up tipsy to these things and have a great time.

Then there may have been other happy hours, but I didn’t get back into it until KAC was finished and CPMC and CPJL were more running things (it seemed). These interim days were weird as everyone was trying really hard to be cooler than everyone else. It was different with KAC because she was nice and being exclusive was her deal. She was "the socialite" so of course you feel like she’s doing cooler things than you (whether that was true or not).

So, when CPMC was running the show it was a time when we just had a bunch of people acting like they were some hot shit. But, during this time there was a real boon of bloggers. You had A Girl in DC, Butterfly Network, Texas Cutie and others. Also, Kathrynon popped onto the radar screen (And, yes, she had been a cool DC blogger a few months prior). But she hosted her own happy hour at McFadden’s. Again, I got really drunk.

To me, Kathryn (as president of the new class) really brought blogs back to where they should be. She brought along with her Rock Creek Rambler-types as well as fun girly blogs like DC Cookie. It isn’t about being cooler than anyone else (because let’s face it, if you blog, you’re probably not that cool), it was about meeting fun people and procrastinating work. And her and her blogger friends are all very friendly (hell, the girl invited me to her birthday party) and genuinely enjoy meeting new people, etc. It just sets a nice tone for it all.

And, while I enjoy these happy hours (and I’ll be there tipsy with Steve tonight), I feel very much a part of the old school in that (thankfully) these new whippersnappers are running things now with their superlatives, nametags and photoshop skills. It’s just about laughs in your daily life, fun parties and thoughts on celebrities. The “I’m cooler than you” posts rarely pop up anymore and the days of the old school are coming to an end.

21 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

V, I'm touched. Your first round is on me tonight.

12:21 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I look forward to seeing you, V.

12:22 PM  
Blogger roosh said...

i'm cooler than everyone

12:25 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I think I came in between CPMC running the show and the rise of the new class... :)

Don't know if I'll make it but you know how to reach me V.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Kathryn was the very first local blogger to link to me, she was the person who inspired me to write more frequently than I had been, and she was the first person to say "Hi" to me at a Blogger HH.

Kathryn is the new-school-nexus, not to mention fantabulous. 'Nuff said.

12:38 PM  
Blogger V said...

K: I'm looking forward to it

i-66: ditto

DCB: Case and point

AM: Hope you make it and if not, we'll talk soon.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Nice recap, CV.

The Playaz wish they could attend. We are too busy cutting up comet dust for packaging and re-sale.

1:16 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Holy mother of god, I just laughed my ass off. I have no idea how she does it. When I find something cool on a blog somewhere, Kathryn has already seen it and commented on it. She's supernatural.

1:46 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

This post has convinced me to drop by for just ONE cocktail.....

2:09 PM  
Blogger V said...

Awesome--wonder what part of the post convinced you (wink)...can't wait to see you there

2:13 PM  
Blogger V said...

P.S. Make sure your one drink is after 8 so I can see you :)

2:18 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

After 8 it is....

3:01 PM  
Blogger The Committed One said...

It’s just about laughs in your daily life, fun parties and thoughts on celebrities. The “I’m cooler than you” posts rarely pop up anymore and the days of the old school are coming to an end.

Well said and well put V. I hope to see you all tonight ... if I can get out of work at a decent hour :(

3:32 PM  
Blogger The Governess said...

OH MAN THE GOLDEN ERA.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Complacent Chase said...

Wonderful post! I wish I could be there tonight...but I am working on a plantation and my master is making me work late because I am behind on my voice tracks!

5:31 PM  
Blogger V said...

TCO: please, work will be there tomorrow, come along

The Governess: You said it, sista...and for the record I was a big CPJL fan...tho pygy works, too.

Chase: You're hilarious, don't let the man get you down--sneak out.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Warm fuzzies felt the morning after, despite not meeting you directly last night.

8:27 AM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

You pull at my heart strings Miss Thang...glad you convinced me to join in.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

V, you inspire me!

3:20 PM  
Blogger V said...

Thanks, Fitz, but I can't think why or to do what :)

3:31 PM  
Blogger The Senator said...

We "ran" things? That is just weird.

Despite you trying to feed Carly human food when The Dean told you not to, we liked you V.

Interesting recap...and DCB is right. He is cooler than everyone.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com