Thursday, November 17, 2005

Horse Faces vs. Hubbell Girls


I like the topic of the horse face. I am sure you have discussed its merits. I find the horse face to be attractive. An excellent example of that would be Jessica Simpson—classic modern horse face.

Horse face can be defined as a longer oval shape, distinctive (read larger) nose and often, high cheekbones. I think this shape rose to popularity with Barbara Streisand.

This occurred to me over last weekend as I watched The Way We Were one hungover morning. I remember an episode of Sex and the City where Carrie references the movie. I hadn’t seen the movie at that point, but thought it sounded like a good cry and planned to check it out.

The movie is a good heartbreaking kind of watch. Not to mention there is a young Robert Redford in it who I still contend is one of the most gorgeous and charismatic actors of modern film. The story is a typical one as boy and girl are from different places but it is unique in that while there is a lot of love between then, Redford (Hubbell) cannot reconcile how difficult it is to be with Streisand (Katie). She pushes him and pushes him demanding more. There are also elements to her personality that don’t lend to a relaxed atmosphere like her expecting the world to know she is smart and driven and taking most everything seriously. She also has no appreciation for many of the things he loves like taking it easy and taking life as it comes along. She’s uptight, serious, driven and very much in love with Redford.

The famous last scene is years after their divorce, she runs into him and his new wife who is seemingly opposite of her (straight hair, proper, good manners) she says, “Your girl is lovely, Hubbell.”

There is a similar scene between Carrie and Mr. Big. Big chooses to marry the “easy” girl as in the girl who adores him and their love takes little effort versus the train wreck that is dating Carrie Bradshaw. She even says to Big a al The Way We Were: “Your girl is lovely, Hubbell,” and walks away from a rightly confused Big.

I was also struck at how much Sex and the City draws from The Way We Were (Not just it’s also horse faced heroine).

The Streisand character is really funny in the context of Washington, DC type girls, too. I recently had an interesting post-coitus chat about “DC girls.” This is said to be “that girl” who wants everyone to know she’s smart and awesome, but actually comes across at bitchy and pushy. Also these girls are not attractive enough to act like this as it is only the models among us that can act awful and still keep their lover.

I don’t think the point here was girls need to be more like the sedate Hubbell girl, but rather there is a balance between wanting the world to know you know it all and being confident enough not to throw it in every guy you meet at the bars face. In the end, that’s sort of what breaks up Streisand-Redford and Big-Carrie, both men conclude it just “got too hard” and they leave these wonderful girls behind for the low maintenance “pretty girls.”

“You hold on and I don't know how. And I wish I did. Maybe you were born committed... I can't get negative enough. I can't get angry enough. And I can't get positive enough.”

--Hubbell Gardner, The Way We Were

11 Comments:

Blogger dn said...

Most of my post-coitus chats are also about DC Girls. I mean DC Comics. I mean. Uh. Um. Nevermind.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous slingblade said...

Me I like tew watch Sex in the Sticks where all the womens got the horses ass.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

I like a monkey face.

11:43 AM  
Blogger DCdramaGrrls said...

I just think there are way too many Hubbells out there! are they bored? Do they miss us horse faces?!?

great post. I need to see this movie now. I have been been thinking about it since I saw that SITC episode last week. So, tragic!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I remember that episode...and I think for a lot of men it's true...

Then again, maybe you just need to find the man who knows you know it all and loves you despite the difficult times. Forget the Hubbell!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cookie farted in front of her lover and she is all worked up over it. Go calm her down.

1:54 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

?? It's a blog silly, I'm supposed to exaggerate.

I'd like to think of myself as the happy medium between driven/demanding and easy-going, but then, perhaps I live in a daydream.

8:30 PM  
Blogger M-Love said...

great post - great comparison!

I'm having trouble with Carrie and the girls now. Although they once inspired me so much and seemed so right on, now I watch re-runs and think they are all whiney bitches who were never happy and never had an unspoken thought

3:57 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

You've been called out!

10:14 AM  
Blogger The Captain said...

I agree with this. Of course, anytime I argue that I think SJP is the most attractive of the four characters on Sex and the City, I'm told that I'm blind for ignoring the brunette woman, whose name escapes me.

10:32 PM  
Blogger wonderful woman said...

"uh, we'll take four hamburgers and four cokes"

"onion?"

"yes. in the cokes"

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com