Thursday, August 25, 2005

Same country, different worlds

I had some fresh New England lobster last night at a friend’s house. The girl who brought the lobster up from her home in Rhode Island thought it was funny that I was adverse to eating clams raw.

She also mentioned that her parents have a test for all the guys she brings to meet them or girls her brother brings: They have to like raw clams. Besides the fact that raw clams sounds more like a euphemism than an appetizer, it also made me think of how different the Northeast is than the South/Midwest.

I think my parents would faint if I brought home some vegetarian that complained about hunters. For my parents, he’d have to at least like to hunt pheasant, not mind fishin’ with my dad (so know how to bait a pole and pick out the right jig or grub or lure for the right fish and probably know how to clean it) and certainly know how to cook a steak. I am positive neither of my parents have ever had raw clams.

Hell, I'm lucky I got away with bringing a Catholic home.

7 Comments:

Blogger Complacent Chase said...

My Mom is just happy when I introduce her to a boyfriend. I think it gives her hope that I will get married soon.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

My parents want me to settle down with a boy from a 'good family' ...oh and being from MD if he knows how to tell the difference between a jimmy and a female crab and can pick one in under 3 minutes he's in like flynn

9:18 AM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Uh, better not bring my pescetarian ass home with you. ;) (That's s'one who only eats fish.)

11:07 AM  
Blogger cuff said...

I've only ever dated Catholics (and that's by strange chance) and in fact married one (am still married quite happily to the same). As for raw clams, I tried them and I prefer steamed.

2:08 PM  
Blogger V said...

Chase: That's funny--

Dale: Sounds like you got that NE vibe going to...it's all a mystery to me.

MPL: Whatever, one smile from you and they'd forget all about your fish-only preference

Mass: That is funny. I like the Catholics, good drinkers and full of guilt--and you gotta love the weddings.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous One Eyed Tom said...

I only eat bearded clams, me beauty.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Increase your Adsense Earnings

I noticed you have adsense ads on your page, Would you like to increase your earnings from them, Free and Legitimate way to make your clicks increase.
Come see my Blogger blog and it will tell you more.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com