Monday, August 08, 2005

How was Virginia?

I haven't really been to Virginia very much. I certainly haven't gone out there or even shopped there (unless Pentagon City counts…not sure).

Anyway, May and I stayed at our friend Kicks' apartment. Her place was freaking huge and freaking nice. We later went to Kathryn's birthday cocktail hour, and her apartment was also freaking huge and freaking nice.

We went to the mall, and to a nice wine store called Rick's. Kicks live in Alexandria, while Kathryn lives in Arlington. They were both just a quick highway ride away. The burbs are nice because there are a lot of places to shop. Having a car means you can get tons of shit at Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond or other such places. I am jealous of the burbers ability to haul stuff.

Driving Miss Drunky--The fact that you basically have to drive everywhere means there will be one person who cannot drink. I think having a solo sober one puts the evening off kilter. At Kathryn's, I felt sorry for Kicks who was driving because even though she is an excellent mingler, I am sure she would have liked to have a few more drinks under her belt. Furthermore, the afterparty stuff went into the city, and Kicks was not in the mood to drive. So that was that. Her and May went to sleep, and I watched movies by myself until 4:00 a.m.

I'm with the Adults--Kathryn's party felt like it was an "adult party." What I mean is that while it was a lot of fun and her friends were very cool/attractive, they all also had their shit together. There were no crazy sluty girls bending over for attention or emotionally immature meatheads getting in fights or inappropriate amounts of dirty dancing. There was good alcohol and beer, nice snacks, including a quality veggie tray, and mature people chatting and mingling with other mature people. While I know I am 24 and should be used to smoozing with adults by now, I'm really not. I still mostly go to bars and parties that usually involve a keg and/or lewd behavior and/or copious amounts of drinking. I also don't count the parties filled with hipsters or politcal people as "adult" either. If there is PBR or people yelling above each other about the article they most recently read, it's just not adult. It was very nice to just be "normal" and chat like tipsy civilized people…though it may have been a little more rowdy as the evening went on.

All and all--It was nice to see A Girl in DC and her guy entourage, RCR (his gf is very pretty), Robin and DC Cookie there, too. I am glad Kathryn had a much better birthday this year. She certainly looked great and very happy. Her many friends all seemed like fun people, and aside from a rather depressing tarot reading, she looked to be having a fantastic birthday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

It was a wonderful bday, and made all the better by your attendance (and May's, and Kicks'). Y'all mingled like champs, even though we're a bunch of old farts. :)

I got crazy later - more to come!

1:26 PM  
Blogger V said...

Def not old farts...looking forward to the down and dirty recap.

1:38 PM  
Blogger DC Girls said...

I wish you could have stayed but it was nice seeing you there. Although I still think throwing eggs at you might have been fun ;)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Complacent Chase said...

V, tell me you did not bring the tarot cards! I am still trying to figure out what my reading said about me. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed though. hee hee

5:33 PM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

What's the spot for Thursday, again? Mr. Smith's?

3:43 PM  
Blogger emily said...

I really liked the information on your blog about tarot reading I have my own tarot reading exposedblog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com