Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Back off my street

V Note: I read about this a few days earlier and Anna pointed out an article about it early so I thought I would be sure you are all aware of this stupidity.

I try not to get political on my blog because I think about policy and media and message all day. But, this little "bill" pisses me off. Bad.

There was a bill introduced in Congress by U.S. Rep. Henry Bonilla renaming 16th Street, Northwest, "Ronald Reagan Boulevard."

Not only do I live on 16th Street, I also work on it. These insane Republicans need to chill out. You already tagged National airport with you beloved leader's namesake and umpteen buildings in town named after him, do you really need to take streets, too? L'Enfant freaking knew what he was doing when he planned this little city, you know, letters, words, numbers in a circle fashion. Why don't you Republicans back the fuck off and start WORKING on something besides a worthless "energy" bill and nonexistent exit strategy for oh, I don’t know, either war we got cookin?

And good for District Mayor Anthony Williams who said: "It's been a long time since I've heard of a plan that made so little sense. Changing the unique and beautifully mapped street system in Washington would mean undoing the work of Pierre L'Enfant, who created a design that has inspired millions of people from around the world. Sixteenth Street is one of our city's most prominent thoroughfares. It represents all presidents -- not just one president."

8 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I agree, the streets in DC are messed up enough if you don't know how they run - throwing a name in will screw it all up. There are much more important bills to look at and argue over than this.

8:52 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Would you accept if they renamed Dupont Circle to 'Circle V?'

9:38 PM  
Blogger dn said...

That reminds me - next time in town, let's go visit L'Enfant's tomb. OK? Great.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh, I live on 16th St as well...if they change the name to "Ronald Reagan Blvd" I swear I'm going to have to move.

10:05 AM  
Blogger cuff said...

I was making a right off of Ronald Reagan Road to Ronald Reagan Boulevard on my way to the Ronald Reagan Memorial White House at 1600 Ronald Reagan Avenue. Passed Ronald Reagan Street and the Ronald Reagan Street Corridor by that Starbucks -- damn the private corporations who won't allow us to amend their names -- and then through the East Ronald Reagan Circle area...it was splendid, especially now that they've kicked those protestors completely out of Ronald Reagan Park.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

So true, Mass. Not only do they rename an airport after the guy who FIRED the air traffic controllers, but then they give him a huge, important bldg downtown. He wasn't even dead at the time of both of those! (Mentally, but not physically.) 16th Street isn't even a boulevard, ya dumb fu**!! Some other Republican said "There aree plenty of streets in Texas that could use a new name." If 16th Street gets renamed, I will seriously vomit.

12:15 PM  
Blogger V said...

DC Cookie: I like Dupont, but there is a certain ring to Circle V...

DN: Sounds good even if he did get fired.

Yeah, isn't the Gipper from Illinois/California...let's rename their streets!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous cjt said...

Mass, did that route take you anywhere near the Ronald Reagan National Cathedral?

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com