Tuesday, May 31, 2005

So how was your weekend?

I kicked the weekend off right with one of the top three concert experiences of my life. The Faint totally rocked me with their excellent show that blended both the current Slippery When Wet CD with favs from their previous album Danse Macabre. Bright Eyes also did a better job than expected, and I relished Conor's pain and suffering (especially with the many, many citron rocks/splash o' 7 I had enjoyed). There were a lot of angsty 18 year olds there, too, which was cause for many smiles at how much fun it was to be young and raw to the world.

After the show, the two couples I was with had to take their respective drunk girlfriends home, and Dave and I did a little after parting with the bands. I had never been in the VIP room at 9:30, and I must say it's a dump. Not that it matters, but I had expected a little more. Anyway, while Dave sat drunk and quiet on the couch, I was feeling chatty and befriended Autumn and Jennie. They were playful girls who knew the violin player in The Faint (his opening on SWW is killer). Autumn had on a nice animal print shirt and excellent bra. She was Conor's "chosen" we shall say, and Jennie and I just chatted and harassed Dave. Later, we (Autumn, Jennie, violin player and me) drove to their after-party at a house which took us FOREVER because I was the only one who had a vague idea of where we were going. And by vague, I mean I had no idea, and it took about three friendly cab drivers' directions to find it.

I'd like to say we totally hung out with the band and totally talked about their music and its totally important place in society and shit, but there were so many metro/homo hipster waif boys there that it was impossible for me to keep straight who was who. Dave got pretty tired of the party even though his buddy Ian was there (he's Conor's cousin). I think they wanted to go to a bar instead of this party. I may get a share of blame for this as I am pretty sure I wanted to go to the party, but I have yet to confirm this with Dave.

We were out until some ungodly hour, and I passed out for a couple winks before heading to the beach in Maryland for two days with some friends. I now realize I am INSANE for not living on the beach. I am never, never happier than with the salty ocean breeze cooling me as I burn to a crisp with Corona in hand and watch the waves roll in.

This political shit is for suckers. Give me a beach house and sellout job (sigh).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, the alleged "drunk girlfriends" that had to be taken home on Friday night resent your misstatement of the facts. Sadly, we were not very drunk at all. Perhaps if we HAD been wasted we would have enjoyed Conor's complete mess of a performance and not been so depressed that we had to go straight home and listen to a Faint CD to remember what good music sounds like.

1:25 PM  
Blogger V said...

Excellent point, I retract my "drunk girlfriends" statement as I would have been too drunk to know that others were also.

Feel free to write a review of the show (or whatever) in your witty banter as I would love to post it (and then I could actually have something witty on my shitty blog).

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is doing a job that would allow you to live where you want to live being a sell out? Maybe living here in D.C. and doing whatever it is you do is being a sell out.

10:27 AM  
Blogger V said...

Very true, anon.

I was more making a joke than meaning you to take me literally (a little tip for future reading: I like to joke around and be sarcastic a lot—something my father taught me.)

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Haywood said...

Sorry V. Saracasm and irony can sometimes be lost on the internet. I guess this is why I don't have a blog...no one would understand my unique version of 30 year old cynicism. Hope you have an alcohol soaked weekend.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com