Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Like it's your last

Tonight's my last night with a good friend of mine. He is leaving for travels and then straight to California. Sure there will be occasional phone calls, e-mails and trips to visit once every couple of years, but just ain't the same.

It is hard when friends leave you. He has a new exciting life starting and so the transition will be easier. But for those that are left behind it feels much more like a void. You are going to his favorite bar Stetson's to catch the Red Sox, but he won't be there to meet up with you and your friends. I kick myself for not really appreciating him more while he was here. He is rolling into town for one last hurrah, and I know that I will appreciate him more than I ever have this evening and maybe should have been all along.

Wouldn't it be nice, if we could really take in life all the time like it was our last few moments. Where each laugh and smile was significant to us and not just passing the time until something better. "Live each moment like it's you last" seems so nauseatingly cliché as well as impossible, but moments like tonight where I am faced with losing a dear friend to life's course is a good reminder to appreciate as much as I can, as much as I can.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Immortalize the memories and make this moment his last -- crush his skull between your thighs and throw him in the sub-zero. :D

6:34 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I feel ya on this... My good guy friend just left on Sunday - very similar situation :(

But you have the memories & the calls & visits to look forward to!

7:07 AM  
Blogger cuff said...

If his favorite bar is Stetsons, consider you haven't lost much.

But seriously, it's a difficult thing when a close friend leaves for another part of the world. I'm still trying to recover from the various departures to Louisiana, Phoenix, Seattle, New York, and Los Angeles. It definitely changes the relationship, because every visit then becomes a compressed moment to cram full of things that should take months, not days.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Elvis said...

Some corporate speak for you:

While certainly this event is a drain on gross receipts, this deal may have a tremedous upside -- here's an opportunity to excel and add more assets to your inventory. I think the lessons learned here is that we need to network, make more friends in the space and grow the "Friends" market-share.

Sorry for the loss.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com