Friday, May 27, 2005

I told you so

I will be keeping it real and attending the Bright Eyes / Faint show tonight at 9:30 Club (Sorry it's all sold out). In addition to thanking my friend Justin for the ticket (thank you), there is one particular reason I am really looking forward to rockin out with a bunch of sensitive people.

Six years ago (gasp) when I was a freshman in college, I ran around with these cool fellas. Two of them (Dave and Mulli) were roomies. When I met Dave, there were two things I learned quickly: He's smart and he likes this kinda whiney music his Creighton Prep high school buddies play. Hanging out in his dorm room or later "frat" house, Dave would usually be playing this music from the Omaha label Saddle Creek that his friend Conor had. I remember thinking a lot of it sounded like an open mike night with a sad drunk dude singing. We liked to tease him about it. Dave would often talk for hours about how great this Omaha music is and we were all idiots if we didn't like it (Dave loves to call us idiots).

So after listening to rough cuts of this music, one day I woke up and those people and their label was famous. The most famous would be Conor Oberst and his hip band Bright Eyes. This wasn't just Dave's buddies' band, this was suddenly an entire genre of music called Emo that was getting more ink than Janet Jackson's tit. And by far, Dave earned the best "see I told you so" I have ever been privy.

So tonight, I am looking forward to experiencing the Emo rock stylings of Bright Eyes (which I do like) as well the Faint (who are really, really good) with the guy who was preaching it before and will enjoy it more than anyone else.

So here's to Omaha, Emo, being right and Dave.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tate Stevens said...

You're like preventative medicine, this blog stuff has cured my soon-t-be summer boredom

2:55 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

I went to college with a lot of boys like Connor. I know all about them. They don't shower, they wear tight jeans, and follow you around like pathetic assholes until you realize that you totally get off on their devotion.

They have a way of using their "bright (girly) eyes" (covered by a lurrrvely fringe of greasy bangs) to get the ladies.

Sure, BE's got some talent (I mean, I totally sucked up to Mulli and Dave to get some tickets) but I have to think that it's not all about the music...

He knows he's getting all those buttoned up, flip-flops and popped collared DC girl in the audience hot and bothered.

He's their drony boy-toy they could never bring to a place like, say, Smith Point.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the faint/bright eyes show last night.. excellent show by the Faint - awesome visuals.

I still don't exactly know where half these people at the sold out concerts come from. People you don't normally see at similar events at blackcat/dc9/etc yet pop up for these concerts. And some of them that you suspect are faking interest.. oh well. Great show though.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

"your arms are calling out,
they wave like a swarm of sound.
you pull the sound from scores of notes,
you step the stage and take control. "

I'm pissed I missed it

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time,Luke, I totally callyou for the after party :)

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com