Friday, May 27, 2005

A hating question and apology

Can you hate when you know what you are getting into?

I went to the Citizens Helping Heroes fundraiser (FYI: You can still contribute online and should) at Smithpoint last night and was happy to see several familiar faces as well as meeting some cool new ones. It was a great event, and I was happy to help in my small way.

But, by the end of the night, I found myself alone just watching the crowd (Anna met this cool guy and was busy chatting). Smithpoint was exactly, exactly the way it always is when I have lots of fun there. But for some reason (and it wasn't sobriety, that's for sure), I felt some serious projectile hating welling up in me. All these 21-year old Georgetown-ites drunk and dancing like assholes to music I imagine that DJ did not want to be playing were just too much. I actually found myself scowling at these people and really thinking some pretty mean shit.

But, the hating was followed by the guilt. These kids are just having a good time and furthermore, what the hell did I expect? This is Smithpoint. Where the twins party, where it's per usual to see straight white dudes full-on dancing in pink pants or pastel striped shorts with no socks and loafers. Where the girls actually care a lot about what car you drive and where you are summering.

In my haters corner, I neglected one little fact: It's my own goddamn fault. These people didn't just invade Local 16 or something, this is their place, their neighborhood-- where they can be free to feel hot and special as they awkwardly grind against each other and eyes wander the room for someone better to talk to. I'm the old judgy bitch in their hood hatin on them when I knew damn, damn well what I was getting into.

So to those Smithpoint people drunk people on the dance floor around 1:30 last night havin the fuckin time of your life, I apologize to you and your friends for my extensive internal hating monologue. It was wrong. I am sorry.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing I was there, we could have sat and glowered together.

11:15 AM  
Blogger The Senator said...

I know how you feel...sorry I couldn't make it for the charity part.

4:16 PM  
Blogger V said...

Glad others feel my pain...I heard you had a very important matter to take care of today--hope it went well.
Anyway, may see you one Sunday at concert--

5:30 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Great to see you, there Ms. V...you hid your scowling behind a radiant smile and good manners....by the end of the evening I hid my sobriety pretty well too...ugh, got home at 5AM up at 8AM...I am getting too old for that! ;)

11:53 PM  
Blogger The Senator said...

It went just ok. But, I did get to see an interesting side of Charlotte, NW what with the "NASCAR Festival" outside of my hotel downtown. Yow!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Furcafe said...

Felt the same way; that's why I left early after taking a few snaps.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Furcafe said...

Pic of you from the event has been scanned is ready to go up on my blog. Let me know if you'd like an advance look before I blog it (it's really not bad); I believe the "Senator" can give you my email.

11:29 PM  
Blogger V said...

Thanks for asking and no worries fur, post away.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Furcafe said...

Here you go:

http://furcafe.blogspot.com/2005/05/citizens-helping-heroes-fundraiser.html

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com